Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor market share misrepresented

• 28-02-2002 6:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,462 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/finance/2002/0228/1981748399BZMETEOR.htmlMeteor secures 3.1% share
    By Una McCaffrey

Mobile phone operator, Meteor, has achieved a 3.1 per cent share of the Republic's mobile phone market during its first year of operation, according to figures released by the company yesterday.

This compares to a 57.6 per cent market share for Vodafone and 39.3 per cent for Digifone, and leaves the third operator with 113,000 active customers. Some 10,200 customers joined the Meteor network on Christmas Day.

If those figures are true, then market share is as follows
    Vodafone	 58%	 2,099,613 
    Digifone	 39%	 1,432,548 
    Meteor		  3%	   113,000 
    Total		100%	 3,645,161

Out of a population of about 3,800,000? What everyone over the age of 4 has a phone now?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Well, there's not just personal phones; there are all the phones that are stolen and replaced on pay-as-you-go tarriffs that are still active, there are company phones, and so on... you're really chasing active SIMs rather than active phones...

Gadget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,462 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Inspector Gadget
    Well, there's not just personal phones; there are all the phones that are stolen and replaced on pay-as-you-go tarriffs that are still active, there are company phones, and so on... you're really chasing active SIMs rather than active phones...

Perhaps, but under the rules, they have to remove them from the number after a few months. Not that many people loose phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

You'd be surprised how many ppl have phones stolen etc.

I myself have 2 phones, and know of plenty of ppl who have seperate phones for work and personal use etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

i've got 4 sim cards?

dont know how but i have em

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,462 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by SearrarD
    i've got 4 sim cards?
    Only the ones with a valid account will be counted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

I think there's a thing with Digifone Speakeasy SIMs that they don't expire?

Gadget

Advertisement