Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free GPRS till April 1st

• 28-02-2002 6:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭

Ive just been on to Vodafone/eircell whatever aking about GPRS
    as I have a Motorola v66,and she said if I register for GPRS because they are re assessing their prices its free till april 1st (I find it a tad un-nerving thats aprils fools day;),So thats saved me a nice sum of money this month !

Not to state the obvious but you do need a GPRS enabeld mobile fone,+ software + data cable,all in all my fone + cable + software cost around 300 quid that was cost price..

Call em 1907 to check it out

adios
    nem

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭lukin

I'm thinking of getting the Nokia 8310, which is GPRS enabled.
    I'm on Vodafone and they told me it would cost €40 along with €20 extra on my bill for twelve months (total=€280).
    Digifone are going to have it in "two weeks time" the told me.
    They said it's in testing at the moment. I reckon I'll wait until I see how much they are charging before I make a decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by NeMiSiS
    as I have a Motorola v66,and she said if I register for GPRS because they are re assessing their prices its free till april 1st
    I thought they might have, the price gap between tham and Digi didn't make any sence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Originally posted by lukin
    I'm thinking of getting the Nokia 8310, which is GPRS enabled.
    I'm on Vodafone and they told me it would cost €40 along with €20 extra on my bill for twelve months (total=€280).
    Digifone are going to have it in "two weeks time" the told me.
    They said it's in testing at the moment. I reckon I'll wait until I see how much they are charging before I make a decision.

I was told €250 for digifone for a 8310 on select.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 turiel

You could always ask Digifone to put you on the test and get free gprs too! 2 of my friends are on it.

I'm on Eircell GPRS with my flashy 8310 (which cost €480 sim free from nokia 2 months ago).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

can some one post the gprs settings for both providers?
    i'm looking for apn, ip address of gateway and a default login (its dublin for regular wap)

thanks
    david

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Anyone know about vodafone's new prices; got a nice T39 on the way, and will switch to Digifone if vodafone's prices are still crap.

Brendan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

where did u get the t39 from?

A seller on ebay; it is coming from Canada; expecting it on Wednesday or Thursday. :)

Brendan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 speedyboy

Can the free vodafone gprs be used with the laptop or is it just wap????

If it can does anyone know the accesspoint???

Thanx

I'm just off the phone with them, and guess what? GPRS is free till the end of the month now! :D They'll contact anyone using it for free when they've decided on prices. Unlike digifone, they seem to support any gprs enabled phone, and I got them to fax out the instructions for setting it up on my T39. Now all I need is the phone (Friday or Monday) to try it out.

The instructions only cover setting it up on the phone itself. From the instructions, I think these are the details needed:
    APN (that is on the t39, could be called something else on a different phone): wap.vodafone.ie
    Userid/password are both 'dublin'

I think the actual wap settings are the same as before (homepage http://wap.e-merge.ie) including the ip address.

I'll probably ring them up again if I can't figure out how to get it working through my laptop.

• Advertisement

Got the phone, but GPRS won't work as it needs a 32k sim card, so I'll have to go to a vodafone place to get one, though it should be free they said..

BAD News I'm afraid. :(
    I got the sim card, put it in, rang vodafone to get GPRS activated, and was soon browsing WAP on the phone at super speeds ;).
    Then the trouble came; configuring my laptop to use GPRS. After countless calls to Vodafone, and E-merge support, I was finally told that internet access is only available for corporate customers, and they don't know when it will be available for personal users. I'm assuming that the WAP APN (wap.vodafone.ie) is useless for anything but wap (I can't get my laptop to establish a connection to it), so I'll probably switch to digifone when the free gprs is finished.

Advertisement