Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a new van

Options
  • 01-03-2002 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

hello all,

i was thinking that i will buy a commercial vehicle to save money on tax and insurance(hopefully). My thoughts where a peugeot 306 van. The problem(s) is that i know feck all about the price of cars. I would maybe spend about €4500-€5000 on it but could be persuaded to part with a few more quid.

I am going this low to suit my insurance.

the van will also suit my line of work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

I was going to do the exact same about 6 months ago... I was even going to get a 306 van too...

The thing that stopped me was that every insurance company I rang wouldnt insure me on a van. Well, one would but they quoted me about £4000 which is roughly the same as my car insurance. If youve found an insurer already: well done! Youve got past the hurdle that stopped me in my tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

I got the insurance quote already €3k fully comp. approx.

Now the problem of getting the car. what would i expect to get for 4-5000 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

You should be able to pick up a decent van for that much. I havent been looking at vans for many months so I couldnt give you an average price but if you can pick up a decent car for that much, getting a van should be fairly easy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Rymus,

did they give you a reason, I'm thinking of doing summat similar in a few months time, I'll be able to get a letter from work saying I'm using it for commercial purposes if nessecary

any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Being a caddy driver myself, I tend to drool over the new 1.9 tdi caddy which has a shedload of torque.

But on looks alone I'd get the aforementioned 306 or a renault megavan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Last week i spent a bit of time on the quinn-direct.com website, and they were quoting me €1400 for a van, pretty much any one i thought of 1.9 diesel n/a 1994 value €2000

today I can't get past the first page of the quotations system, was last week a freak incident?

John

Advertisement