Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good bye eircom hello chorus

• 13-02-2001 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭

Hehehe just posting to let you know im going with chorus phone and later power net.So what i hear you ask well im hopefully getting connected on Saturday so ill give you a run down on whether the service is good ie will they show up will they fit the new kit ok ect ect and finally what the connection is like.As it stands i have isdn which im paying through the nose for so first up will be the line rental will be gone that's £60 per 2 months gone straight away next they are using wireless beamed to the roof technology so hopefully this will bypass the clogged landlines i know the servers are landline based but if this cuts out even a few hops tis a good thing.lastly our area is supposed to be getting powernet by the end of the month so that'll be £40 a month but that's 24/7 broadband connection.Some will say theres a 3gig limit on this service but there ain't at the mo as there not implementing the extra charges until they figure out how many users there going to get
    besides i ain't into mp3,s downloading movies or nuttin so i should be well under the limit anyhows.
    so fingers crossed lad,s and lassies we may have an alternative yet. Btw as long as you can get multichannle cough cough chrous and they have upgraded your local mast then you will be able to get these services plus a few more tv channels taboot.

All the best ill keep ya posted

Stonemason biggrin.gif

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Chorus ren't in Dublin are they ?
    they would make quite some money if they were, and why arne't they ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Skeptic1

Because they would be competing with NTL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

AFAIK NTL has the license for Dublin and Chorus has the license for everywhere else.
    Anyone know what kind of connection speeds we'll be talking about here? 256K? 512K?
    I know they say 4-10 times faster but that could mean anything really. 10 times faster for me would be 20 kbps download speed which isn't really all that much considering I get about 50-60 in work.
    Wouldn't complain though smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭THE SPERMINATOR

Yup the figures are what i was quoted for the powernet service.As for dub being a built up area they would have to use cable as this service im getting is line of sight and as your man pointed out unless ntl bail which may happen chorus wont get a look in.just a note of intrest the fella i was talking to said that at the mo there phone service will allow to run at 32bps[true rate] to connect to your isp but they can and hopefully will bump my line up to 64bps for free biggrin.gif by this i mean not powernet but the phone service they provide so in affect if all goes well ill be using my isdn equipment at 64bps and paying no line rental[local call still applies] until i can get powernet[read highspeed modem] in about a month[said with tongue in cheek].

Stone biggrin.gif

ps the cost of a second line is £4.99pm

You've got to laugh?
    When i first posted the above i hadn't heard any of the bad press around choruss service as soon as i mentioned it to family and friends the response was amazing ranging from DONT DO IT to insane laughter.Now i have fallen foul of chorus but thankfully not to l8.Reason for this after spending an nearly an hour talking to sales reps and tech staff i was assured that i would be able to get these services np.What happened today well a chrous fellow came to visit in his van [top marks for coming 3 days early luckily i was in]Then he proceeded to climb on the roof mess about at the back of our telly and promptly stated you cant get the phone or power net and you probably wont even get digital here.So i guess i wont be using chrous after all hoooo bleedin huuuum.

Well done chorus for laying to rest the final dregs of optimism or faith i had about Irish industry.As far as im concerned they can all stick it up there fat greedy incompetent backsides where there heads are firmly lodged.

Stone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

the managing director of chorus was on joe duffy yesterday afternoon; anyone catch it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

hehe, I got the same reaction from family and friends too Sperminator smile.gif

In the words of Scott Adams
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    Remember, these are people who couldn't get a job in a telephone exchange.
    </font>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Yeah, i heard him on joe duffey, and i dont think im going to touch chorus for a while, till they get their infrastructure sorted...

Moriarty
    moriarty@gamersfm.com

The technology is supposed to be sound some crowd in Sweden or some such country is using it there even talking about going to the uk.Tis a good idea for sparsely populated areas where cable and ADSL will probably never appear.The only other option would be low orbit satellite based send and receive system.

Stone biggrin.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Anyone here using the Chorus Cable service and/or hear any reports?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Finally got a reply from chorus, after numerous emails...

Asked about powernet and digital tv....

> Hi Mark,
    >
    > We are currently awaiting release dates for both of these
    > services to your area. You will most likely receive
    > Powernet to your area via wireless network. I will keep you up to date
    with
    > regard to when these services can
    > be made available to you. I have sent you information on
    > both of these services via post. With regard to what
    > area's will be covered in Kilkenny, nothing has been confirmed as yet.
    >
    > Kind regards,
    > Liza.

Is it just me or can anyone spot any useful information in that email?
    Well, their predecessor in kilkenny had promised cable internet access to me by autumn 1999.... any day now...

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭pertinax

if their marketing tripe is so succesful then why do they still run adds on rte?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Licksy20 - That isnt just an email they splurge to everyone that enquires. I sent them one around christmas asking when my area would be upgraded, and they said 3-4 weeks powernet would be available to me. Two and a half weeks later my area was upgraded, and they emailed me back asking if i wanted to subscribe... Didnt bother though, cuz of the 3gb download limit..

Pertinax - They more than likely bought a certain amount of add airtime when they first signed up, thats how those things are usually run... They arent going to cancel it either, that would just make no sense smile.gif

Moriarty
    moriarty@gamersfm.com

[This message has been edited by Moriarty (edited 16-02-2001).]

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

Funny thing is, my little brother actually works for chorus, he goes around helping putting up dishes and the likes. He said he was in Drogheda and dundalk doing a few services and that Chorus simply cant handle the demand. They go into customers homes, fiddle about and purposely tell them that they cannot get the service. Not for any specific reason, just that the chorus marketing strategy has worked so well and they have gotten swamped in work.

Slaan

Had a little chat with them again today and the lady informed me that they are putting up more masts in our area and as we have a couple of foooking great hills read moutains just behind us im hoping theyll stick 1 up there hehe as i said before i like the sound of the services provided and yes i know there buggy as hell at the mo but still it probably the only viable option for myself and many others for the forseeable future.
    As someone above said id like to hear from anyone that is using the service just to see what it,s realy like.

Stone biggrin.gif
    ps moriarty 3 gigs is a fair amount uless your gonna download films and bucket loads of mp3 also at the mo they aint charging for over the 3 gig limit not till they get there customer base settled so i was told on the qt [example]5 hours twenty mins playing cs came to about 30 megs biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭TOWN

lads i was just talking to some bit$h on the phone from chorus,after 15 min of $hite talk and reasurance she told me £20.00 a month tv,free phone line rental and fugen 24/7 internet hows ur father on line gaming mp3,surfing and take it up the ar$e all for 20 quid in 3 to 5 months time,so eircon can kiss my quake a$$ good bye.i dont care bout what speed it is once its faster then a 56k modem. smile.gif

Powernet is £40 pm on top of the £20 for the tv and phone but it is 24/7 sooo may be worth it in the long run if the service any good.No one seems to be able to tell us from first hand experience what its like tho

Stone biggrin.gif

Advertisement