Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newsgroups

• 01-03-2002 1:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭

Can anyone please tell me if I can access different Newsgroups
    from different ISP's. I use Oceanfree, UTV, Elive and Yahoo for
    my mail and can access them all from Outlook Express. But I can't
    get any newsgroups to work becaouse I cant find the settings for
    them. I know the mail and POP settings but I cannot find the
    newsgroup setting/s. What I need is to be able to read and post
    to newsgroups on ie.comp etc. Or can this be done using the
    Oceanfree ISP etc. ?

Any help would be appreciated,

Manic

If i posted to the wrong Board sorry :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You can read the .ie and other irish-interest newsgroups here on boards.ie :)

You'd want to check out your ISP's website for specific information on their NNTP servers - some don't even have one (i think ocean has no news server).

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

You can connect to the Eircom news server using Outlook Express with the following settings:

Go to Tools, Accounts, click on News tab, hit add, add news.
    Stick in your name or nick and your email address, when it asks you for the nntp server name type in the following:
    news1.eircom.net
    Click finish and that's it.

You are now ready to access newsgroups (the first time you try to connect it will download the list).

You may have a problem connecting if you are dialling up with an ISP other than Eircom or Indigo, so set up a new dial up account using (01) 6496101 and any user name/password.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

You can get some info on it here:

http://iiu.taint.org/details/freeisps.html

I think (I've deleted the connection so I can't test it) that you can access the Esat/IOL news sever from an Oceanfree connection, it's been awhile since I dialled up on Ocean.

UTV's news server is now: ie-news.utvinternet.com
    Just so you know :)

Also you can use google for usenet reading/posting
    http://groups.google.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Manic

Thanks a lot guys im printing all this stuff out so I can try them out tomorrow :)

Manic

• Advertisement

Just spent the last few hours adding in all those News server addresses. Oceanfree have no Newsgroups that I can find. Elive seem to have some but I cannot log on to it even connected to Elive. To make a long story short. The only one i could get to work was the Eircom (god I hated having to log back on to them :( ) one. UTV had 2 newsgroups?. All said and done though. I found i could not connect to any Newsgroup without using their IP. As much as I HATE to say it to only good Newsgroup I found was Eircom. :( but I also found that when I use them for my dial up its really SLOW and laggy compaired to Oceanfree / UTV or Elive. Once again thanks for all the help guys.

Manic

Yeah, all news servers (besides the pay ones) are IP restricted, from what I've seen, which is abit of a pain.
    Did you take a look at google? I'm actually starting to prefer using them for usenet reading, plus the archives go back a good bit too.

Did you take a look at google?

I have been in google for the last hour and its great. Thank you Frank. :)

Manic

No worries :)

Advertisement