Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vote swapping

Options
  • 01-03-2002 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Whats the opinion on the vote swapping facility on the
    electireland.com website.Is this going to be a factor in the
    result or is it just a gimmick?Is it against the law? Will the
    activist based parties,Greens,Sinn Fein, go for it bigtime?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Its an interesting idea, but so flawed that it should not be allowed.

IMHO, this is a distortion of the constituency-based system. While not perfect, it should either be adhered to or scrapped in favour of some form of "national vote". This idea of vote transference is basically trying to offer the latter, without changing the law.

Unfortunately, it doesnt offer it to everyone - only to those who can afford to go on the internet, and who are versed enough in said technologies in order to actually use the technology. This is, in my mind, discriminatory.

I would also point out that it is open to massive abuse. I can see the "vote early and often" mantra being replaced with something like "vote for us, and trade your vote for us". After all - the voting process is anonymous, so it is absolutely based on an unenforceable honour system.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Maybe I'm wrong, but doesn't PR-STV obviate the general need for such an abuse-prone mechanism?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 utalkintame

Take a look at the link to undestanding the PR system on the electireland.com site.
    PR concentrates preferences into an acceptable compromise.
    Vote swapping will appeal mostly to supporters of parties,registered in constituencies in which their party of choice is not fielding a candidate and who probably wouldnt bother voting.
    I think the issue of abuse is not a problem.There has to be a debit and a credit in the deal and woebetide any candidate or party that tries to benefit by widescale duplicity,it would be evident in the result and certainly the electireland people would pick up on it.Remember,also, that deals would only be done where there was some commonality between the swaps e.g why didnt the Nadir supporters in the U.S swap with the Bush camp?
    Could you see a PD supporter voting Sinn Fein or vice -versa?
    I dont think so!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sorry I'm thoroughly unconvinced. I still hold that it is an illegal attempt at vote-buying (although political parties do try to buy elections, they don't buy votes).

Do you have any connection with electireland.com?

Advertisement