Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SKY Digital and Moving House!

• 01-03-2002 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭

Hi
    We are 4 months into our SKY Digital contract. We are about to move house in April and I'm a bit concerned about the implications for our SKY subscription. Are we in breach of the SKY contract if we take the dish and box? Do we leave the dish behind and install again in the new house? Any help greatly received!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

All you need to do is ring Sky and they will arrange for an installer to go to your new house and put up a new dish. All you have to do is bring your digibox with you. Leave your current dish where it is.

Not sure what they charge for this but can't see it being more than a standard install.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by speedfreak
    Hi
    We are 4 months into our SKY Digital contract. We are about to move house in April and I'm a bit concerned about the implications for our SKY subscription. Are we in breach of the SKY contract if we take the dish and box? Do we leave the dish behind and install again in the new house? Any help greatly received!

Hi, In the south and west Dublin area we install a new dish for 140EUR but Sky's own installers may do it cheaper as I believe they have some subsidy on this. I would be interested to know what they charge.

Regards Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 brenny2506

I am moving house in April, but my Sky contract is up at the end of March. I rang my local installer to see how much it would cost to move the dish and re-install. I was quoted 35euro to take it down and 85euro to set up again. If I cancel my contract with Sky when the year is up and re-apply under my new address this would surely work out cheaper or are there hidden costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

This shouldn't be a problem, a new signup in a new address.... But would they cop the same bank account if you pay by direct debit?

I thought of that, I was going to use a second account to pay by DD. What is the cost of a new installation at this moment as there always seem to be some deal for first time subscribers

• Advertisement

There is a deal at the mo for a reduced installation fee if you sign up to the Sky World top tier package.

Brenny, hold onto your current digibox. Irish boxes could become all the rage for folk across the water.... If not, at least you will could have a easy sale on ebay :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by brenny2506
    What is the cost of a new installation at this moment as there always seem to be some deal for first time subscribers

Dixons are doing a half price deal at the moment, it might be worth checking out.
    I think it applies to any Sky world package.

Damo,

Forgive my stupidity!!!

After my years contract is up and I cancel my subscription I can keep my digibox and dish or am I misunderstanding you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Originally posted by brenny2506
    After my years contract is up and I cancel my subscription I can keep my digibox and dish or am I misunderstanding you.

Yes, once your years' subscription is up full ownership of the equipment passes to you and you can cancel your contract.

Glenn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I read somewhere (think it might have been on channel 998) that if you're moving house, Sky do a deal, whereby you take you're digibox with you, leave the Dish behind, and they'll put up a new dish for you for, for 40 squids.. Of course, as usual, does not apply to the ROI..

But it probably wouldn't hurt, to give the number a call, and ask....

• Advertisement

An insert that fell from the RTÉ Guide tells me that if you signup to Sky World before the 5th April, that you get a half price installation, costing €37.50, the full installation is €75

And Glennus is right, he just beat me to it :)

Where can I get a list of FTA channels for Eire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

There is a moving house deal. I used it when I moved from the North. If you still have some of your contract to run it is the best way to do it. It cost me £50 or maybe £40, sorry memory fuzzy. As has been mentioned already you leave your dish and they install a new one in your new gaff. There is no point in paying for a dish to be removed and reinstalled. SKY like the old dish to be left...i suppose it makes the new occupants more likely to signup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Rafter

http://www1.sky.com/skycomHome/getsky/

Check this out, they are offering an installation for £1. but knowing them they will screw us here in the ROI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cashp_98

After trying several times to get a direct answer from Sky about moving house the following was the result.

Rang SKY 1800 number after 20 minutes of been passed around from Billy to Jack I was informed to ring either Sierra or Finlay's in Ireland to organise moving.

I rang Sierra, and the quoted me 140Euro!! I expalined that I was moving 7 miles, already had the house wired for Satellite (and CAT5), and I also pointed out that the charge in the UK is 40STG (Circa 70Euro).

No joy, still 140Euro. I then mentioned that I had SKY for 18 months and it would be cheaper getting a new subscription using my wife's bank account and new address. They agreed and suggested I contact Sky for a new connection.

Rang SKY again, and they referred me to their Dublin customer servers (01-4751787) which is a disconnected number.

Any advice?????????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

go to your nearest shopping center and sign up for sky at the stand, giving different details to you current connection.

As you have been a sky subscriber for 18 months, your current digibox is yours, so keep that and the card as when rte et al. comes on sky an irish card will be in demand in the uk with all of the ex pats no longer able to get tara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by cashp_98

I rang Sierra, and the quoted me 140Euro!! I expalined that I was moving 7 miles, already had the house wired for Satellite (and CAT5), and I also pointed out that the charge in the UK is 40STG (Circa 70Euro).

Rang SKY again, and they referred me to their Dublin customer servers (01-4751787) which is a disconnected number.

Any advice?????????????

Well 140 seems about right if it's not subsidised (21% of this is vat) You are quite entitled to get a new box so I would go for that. BTW you were being fobbed off there is no sky customer service in Dublin, the no. you were given was the old sky office in Hugenot house which is no longer connected.

Regards Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Advertisement