Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADSL...what is the latest

Options
  • 01-03-2002 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭

well, it appears that when its quiet its too quiet or maybe i just dont hear...

so let scream

WHAT THE GOOD J***** is happening to ADSL?

all i am looking for is a simple line to let me access the web at a slightly faster speed the the average reliant robin

anyone else here totally hacked off with the 're mortgage your house' to get a line and the 'oh it will be metered as well' followed by the Viet Cong like silence about what is going on the miniue Dyle says its a bit expensive...

as per usual the eircon website has it usual high quality 'screw you, who else will deliver it ha ha ha ha' comment

anyone got any news?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I think you have already answered your questions :)

i.e. Sweet FA is happening until someone with a big stick makes a certain company play ball!!!

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

i can tell you this, its been delayed again from its last lauch date which was march 1st

BTW i can remember exactly 1 year ago ringing up eircom about adsl, they were ment to release it then to. maybe another year before we see it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Hadn't seen this proposed launch date, Boston. Had they been telling people this, or were they just guessing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Rolo Tomasi

what I don't understand is why doesn't the telecom regulator -Etain Doyle , i think- just force the B******s (eircom) to roll out ASDL at a competitive price. or least press ahead with releasing the last mile.

I really have to laugh when the government talks about Ireland being the hub of e-commerce in Europe, I mean................................................................................................

"My kingdom for a pro-active government"

well i was told trials would end med febuary and they would start selling it within 2 weeks of the end.
    so i figured march 1st as the logical lauch date.

but since the trials are still going, i dont know whats going on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Comms Bill.....Comms Bill.....Comms Bill.....Comms Bill.....

Nothing will happen until this comes in. Plus, yes it has now been set in stone that this government is poxy. The abortion referendum, the last 2 budgets, and numerous other things were/are all a complete and utter farce. If they get back in, I'm leaving. :rolleyes: Sorry about being OT, but as Rolo implied, we need a proactive government to help us......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Basically, the situation has not changed since September, 2001 when Eircom published their pricing.

The regulator is holding back the service because of margin squeeze and because the wholesale pricing is not believed to cost oriented.

The regulator has said pubically on a couple of occasions that she does not have the power to mandate the introduction of the service at the proper price.

Eircom have made much of the fact that the regulator is holding up ADSL in Dublin. What they don't say so much is that they themselves have been holding up ADSL for years prior to September of last year. Certain Dublin exchanges have been equiped with ADSL equipment since 1998, but the services have been limited to Eircom staff.

Anyway, whatever developments there have been have taken place behind closed doors. It is unlikely that any Eircom staff know when they will be in a position offer ADSL since that depends on Eircom getting its costings right and Eircom seem not to understand how to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

Here are a couple of links I found that some of you guys might find usefull.

Whatever about eircom I cant see Esat bringing out their aDSL package for another few months as their still ripping up the roads around my part of the city (Cork).Even when it does come out I cant see it being afordable. I saw a price on the esat site before Xmas: sumthin like 90 for resedential aDSL and that was punts:eek:

Eircom aDSL

Esat aDSL

More aDSL info

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

I still think if eircom where allowed offer Dsl NOW, it would only be a matter of time before public pressure or demand would bring prices down. I mean, BT did it there last week

We're getting nowhere the way it is .... what if the Comms bill does not pass before the election... what then FFS?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Hi ando,

I still think if eircom where allowed offer Dsl NOW, it would only be a matter of time before public pressure or demand would bring prices down. I mean, BT did it there last week

The problem is that at the proposed prices, the takeup would be absolutely tiny, with just people like you and me in a position where DSL would be appreciated and used; and would work out cheaper that our current costs. For the huge majority of people, the pricing would be totally out of their league. Eircom's answer to slow takeup could very well be to either: a) raise the prices even higher, citing high costs to support what they would no doubt term "abusers" (even in light of the caps - you know Eircom); or b) drop the product altogether, citing a lack of demand. That, in my view, makes it simply too dangerous for the ODTR to allow Eircom roll out now.

adam

• Advertisement

Ando i disagree, the current prices are the whole sale prices, which are said to be several times higher then the retail price.

this is total abuse of a monoploy situation to iliminate all competion. nothing good can happen from allowing eircom away with this. Telecom would loose all faith in being able to operate here and we would be left with no choices

Although it is very frustrating for users in Dublin paying hundreds of pounds per month to Eircom for out-dated technology, the ODTR has very little choice but to delay the service until adaquate justification of the costs are submitted by Eircom.

When Eircom was privatised, it was in to a situation where they had almost total control of the local loop. Therefore, regulations were put in place that meant that if Eircom brought out a retail product, they must also bring out a corresponding wholesale one and this wholesale price must be cost-oriented, i.e., cost + a reasonable margin.

The problem is: if Eircom are content to milk the existing products (metered PSDN and ISDN) then they can use this hold-up as a delay tactic and put the blame on the regulator. Far be it from me to suggest this, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Even though i badly want and need broadband letting Eircom get away with it now would result in what Dahamster said.
    unfortunatley unlike the uk cable hasnt made a big splash here.Even though BT had a similar strangle hold on the loop in the UK there was still other operators they had to compete with that hasnt happened here Eircom still rules the roost and far be it from me to suguest i could be doing so dishonestly.

Stone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

What is scary for me is the comment from above that Eircon have had adsl since 98 for access by their own staff!!!...FFS!!!!

i think it would be fair to say, whit a lot of consideration and thought

WE, MY DEAR FRIENDS ARE F***ED. i think i stand a better chance of getting to mars and the proposed link up with a different planet (true, look at nasa, if you dont believe me) then i do of getting on the web with these 'comms' companies with something other then a modem designed in the 60's.

the answer, i believe, is now - a typical, and to be honest , expected, no, p*** off and wait. :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12 kiswa

Are they still accepting users onto these trials?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Trials are over - i.e. no new users are being taken on in exchanges currently involved in the trial.

Of course, that may change when other urban areas are preparing for product launch, but don't hold your breath. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭viking

Originally posted by Mountjoy Mugger
    Trials are over - i.e. no new users are being taken on in exchanges currently involved in the trial.

I know of a company just off Parnell Street who were getting ADSL last Friday (1Mb flavour) and that was on trial basis! Maybe if you ask nicely they might put you on a trial... ;)

viking

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

In line with their current "7 times" ad campaign...

7times-eircom.jpg

Originally posted by viking

I know of a company just off Parnell Street who were getting ADSL last Friday (1Mb flavour) and that was on trial basis! Maybe if you ask nicely they might put you on a trial... ;)

viking

business trials started mid january and are not available on all upgraded exchanges and only if you are an actual business user, ie no residencial

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

well, i am now thorougly depressed. it loks to me that the possibility of gettin gthis even next year to be generally available is soo slim as to almost disappear.

does anyone know what exchanges are available. i live out side dublin. so i suppose -- what is the definition of an exchange?

im from wicklow...anyone got any news on that front?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

with a bit of luck the trials will last until a competitor comes on the scene and kicks Eircom up the ass with a sensible pricing alternative

PS the ADSL is good but not brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭G

Originally posted by Tazz T
    with a bit of luck the trials will last until a competitor comes on the scene and kicks Eircom up the ass with a sensible pricing alternative

if only :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Irish_Ranger_IR

I wonder how much Eircom and Esat are losing everyday with this delay?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

Eircom isn't losing anything.

They just make so much money on the crazy prices they are charging people for internet calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

I really wish we could have ADSL in ireland but i don't think we will anytime soon as there are not enough people to make to feasable and cheap enough.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by suppafly
    I really wish we could have ADSL in ireland but i don't think we will anytime soon as there are not enough people to make to feasable and cheap enough.:(

omg, youll have xian and i at each others throats again :)

Originally posted by suppafly
    Any evidence for this? How many people are needed? I gave an example of Kingston Communications in Hull, England as an example of a company limited to a town (pop. 300,000) and surrounding areas and supplying a profitable ADSL service.

Dublin has a population of about a million and Greater Cork has a population of about 240,000.

Any calculations I've seen about the profitability of xDSL have been on an exchange basis, i.e., there may be some exchanges that are not profitable because there aren't enough subscribers within range of a given exchange.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

BT has told users in Wales that it will enable their exchange if 275 customers register their interest. edNet in Scotland will co-locate in an exchange and unbundle loops if it gets 100.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/24389.html

adam

Advertisement