Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WTF is going on?! (Modem Trouble)

• 16-02-2001 8:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭

This just started happening to me last night with no settings or anything changed on the computer.

I get disconnected from the net within ten minutes of logging on!! I have tried connecting to different ISP's and the same thing is happening!!

It is happening repeatedly and I simply dont know why. If i had done anything to my settings then there would be a possible reason but it is UNTOUCHED. Can anyone help me? A thousand thankyous in advance.

P.S. I had a look at my modem log and it states things such as NO CARRIER and REMOTE MODEM HUNG UP. I take it this is normal speak for when a connection is lost?

[This message has been edited by Lex_Diamonds (edited 16-02-2001).]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

if you have access to a laptop or a different computer give that a go with the same phone connection...
    that could very well be your problem,
    my line used to give me _lots_ of problems with a lot of noise on it, and just led to disconnection after disconnection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

make sure you dont have call weighting on....you migthn't have it orderd but they sometimes put it on as a bundel(done it to me, and i have asked them to remove it 2 time and its still on) also make sure that the time idel dissconnection is set to never. (know you said you didn't go near it but you never know with windows) biggrin.gif

gl with your porb

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

more than likely its your phone line.
    did it happen after storm or anything?
    could be theres a loose con somewhere.
    whats the sound like on the phone? if its in anyway crackly, call eircom and get them to sort it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Yeah, tis probably the line. I have a really long, fairly makeshift setup over here. I also notice that I can stay connected if I get a 33.6k connection. Anything over that and I get dropped within five minutes.

Is it possible to improve line performance without getting a whole new line? Could I get a socket in my room and still be on the one line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

I think myself its the ISP's... It happens to me when Netmedic reports they are full. Bye-bye connection......

--Chris--

Visit [URL=http://uie.8m.com

THE]http://uie.8m.com[/URL}

THE source for Internet news in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Just get an extension socket in your room. Its not all that great because its just the same as using a long leed. You can get eircom to put in a second socket on the one line, but they draw it from outside the house, and since there ****0rs will probally charge 10 line rental on it (even though its the same line)

John

Advertisement