Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good guitar shop in dublin?

Options
  • 02-03-2002 12:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭

I play the drums at the moment but i wanna sell the drums and buy a guitar, anyone know of a good guitar shop in Dublin?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

Overall I think Musicmaker would be the best for selection and service. Other shops in Dublin always Fook me around.

I bought a guitar in Walton's and I found a fault with it and they said they would fix it. Took them 2 weeks to say it was done. I got it back, and it still has the fault, and I am now currently fighting with them.

There is a small guitar shop near Musicmaker, I can't remember its name but the guy in there is dead rude. I asked for some strap locks, and then decided to get some picks, so I handed them to him and he was like "Oh jesus, mumble mumble!"

And Instrumental on O'Connel Street. " Do you have any XH plectrums?", he bluntly replied "NO!"

Such a great community...NOT!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Frenzy

No other place to go than Musican near Georges st arcade
    They got a good range some second hand suff too.

Bad experiences with Mellodymaker
    (there always kicking us out, as for that grumpy aul sod up stairs with the key boards )

Perfect pitch is very helpfull but only really for Acoustic guitars.

Best bet is get some one who knows a bit bout guitars a go to every shop in town.
    Good luck in the search, you've chosen the right instrument.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

I find instrumental to be alright but the shop you got to depends on the guitar you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by Oeneus
    Overall I think Musicmaker would be the best for selection and service. Other shops in Dublin always Fook me around.

Indeed. I find them fantastic in there.
    I personaly reconmend that place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭col_nicholson

Music maker doesent have a great selection, all strats and pointy bc rich thingys and the likes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭AtlantaSuburb

i usually go to musician incorporated in drury street. they're nice, cooperative guys in there, they have a good choice of guitar, basses and amps if you dohn't wanna overspend (including a pretty nifty range of danelectro guitars and equipment for the rickenbacker freak with a meagre purse), and they're very good for special wishes and modifications. i'd recommend them any day! there's also a pretty good, but small place on capel street the name of which i keep forgetting. if you don't mind venturing out of town, i recommend sound shop in drogheda, excellent choice, and great used stuff at bargain prices!

:-)

AtlantaSuburb:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 shayn

How much you selling your drums for ?

And i also recomend Musician Inc. and the SoundShop .

peace
    shayn

oh yeah, and there's rock steady music in fitzwilliam street (or clarendon street, i keep confusing the two). great for used stuff, but you have to know your way round a bit...

Originally posted by col_nicholson
    Music maker doesent have a great selection, all strats and pointy bc rich thingys and the likes

:confused:
    They have a huge range of Jacksons, Gibsons, and a load of other brands that I never took any notice of.

And do NOT speak ill of BC Rich guitars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

The BC Rich Mockingbird SL kicks so much ass, but it's something like €2000. Note the "SL". Not the standard Mockingbird. The SL has like about 20 switches and knobs on it. It's such a varied axe.

I don't think Music Maker have it, though.

• Advertisement

I have the Virgin, NJ Series.

Beautifull thing it is.
    Very light and great action.
    It's just all-round brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭clevenger

if you're getting an acoustic go to perfect pitch and talk to gerry, he's sound and does reasonable prices.

If its an electric go to muscian inc. best general guitar shop in dublin,sound people.

FUUCK waltons they're cuuntmuppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Originally posted by AngelWhore

:confused:
    They have a huge range of Jacksons, Gibsons, and a load of other brands that I never took any notice of.

Music Maker don't stock Gibsons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Beany

Seeing as we're on the subject of all things guitar, has anyone ever bought a Line 6 POD amp simulator...I know Thomas swears by it for recording...just wondering if anyone else uses it for direct recording?

Are they expensive to buy in town...thomann are selling the POD 2.0 for €358...
    http://www.netzmarkt.de/thomann/artikel-143487.html?ARTTEXTSPRACHE=E&WAEHRUNG=GBP&PRL=GB

yes. best invention ever for recording. wouldn't use it live though,just a little too easy...

Theres a pod in instrumental for 330 euro today. Gigsmart cardholders will also be getting a discount there!

Cheers for the tip off Thomas...but I don't know where Instumental is...have you got a number or web address?

What about Boss or Sansamp...have you ever toyed with those modellers?

The GT6 (also in instrumental) is the best guitar product since the pick up, it models and has a digital line out yummy!

Originally posted by tibor

Music Maker don't stock Gibsons.

They did last time I looked.

They even had an Angus Young Special at one stage.

yeah they do alright, just gotta look up when you go in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

erm, i was in there last saturday looking specifically for an angus young special, and they said they don't stock gibsons. waltons said they'd order it in though.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Originally posted by Beany
    Cheers for the tip off Thomas...but I don't know where Instumental is...have you got a number or web address?

What about Boss or Sansamp...have you ever toyed with those modellers?

Beany,

If u standing at O'Connell Bridge then just walk down the Quays towards Halfpenny Bridge(on north side of river), Instrumental is about half-way down.

Why thank you Sir...hopefully I can get my hands on a little red beast soon...

...Then I can head up to Instrumental and buy a POD.

Classic Tommy Cooper.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by AtlantaSuburb
    oh yeah, and there's rock steady music in fitzwilliam street (or clarendon street, i keep confusing the two). great for used stuff, but you have to know your way round a bit...

Rock Steady's been LONG gone (that was that place opposite the DIT school of music). It's a cafe or somethuing now.

Musicmaker: Not bad, but can be very intimidating. I get this whole air of "I'm cool on a guitar, what the f*ck are you?" off someof the staff. Only reason I'd go in there would be to get my "dream #2" guitar (a PRS Custom 22) - "dream#1" is a PRS Dragon 3 - and it'll stay that way ... a dream!!

Musician seem to be pretty good, if the place is a little cramped with all the guitars crammed into it.

Waltons ... never in a month of sundays!!

funny how i was in rock steady about three weeks ago and walked passed it having a short look into the window on saturday. it's definitely still there... ;) btw - anyone know a plce for rickenbackers in this country?

I just rang Instrumental to see if they had any of those Line 6 PODs left and they have 4 or 5 in stock...but then I asked him how much they were selling them for (expecting €330) but he said that they don't give the price of Line 6 items out over the phone...What's that all about???

coz like it or not dublin music gear stores operate price cartels on standardised products i.e. Epiphone les pauls,boss peadls your jim dunlops and in this case pod line6.

However they don't always stick to their tacit agreements and charge you a different price in the shop(maybe undercutting their competitors) and as result try to keep in on the quiet.

serioulsly this is the reason.

Cheers Clevenger...if it means I can get it cheaper, I'm a happy man.

either way get it coz i've got it and its bass equiv and they're worth their weight when recording,though do look at mail order from uk coz even with stg difference it may be cheaper

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Beany
    I just rang Instrumental to see if they had any of those Line 6 PODs left and they have 4 or 5 in stock...but then I asked him how much they were selling them for (expecting €330) but he said that they don't give the price of Line 6 items out over the phone...What's that all about???

I think those bastards in there are some of the biggest arseholes I've ever had to deal with.

I asked to try out a guitar in there, and I was turned down flatly without a reason.
    After asking why, I was told that they don't let anyone try out a guitar unless they're going to buy it.

Whenever I'm in a music store, I like to jam around on a few different guitars. And I'm sure I'm not the only one, either.
    So what is THAT all about???

Music Maker are always happy to let me jam about before making any sort of Purchase.

Advertisement