Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soad Vs Ratm

Options
  • 02-03-2002 7:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

System of a down v Rage aginst the machine

Who are better, personaaly i think ratm are far better and soad songs all sound the same

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

I don't think they can be rightfully compared

Oranges and Apples, which are better ?

I don't think you can get much better than RATMs first album, it was amazing for its time but them and SOAD have a different style.

Okay, I'd better answer the damned question anyways.

RATM without a doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Apples, obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Atari Jaguar!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Soad are just another part of this gimpy 'Slipknot' Demi-goth sexeh 16-yearolds Demi-goth pop shíte.

Rage Against the Machine on the other hand played Féile with Cyprus Hill. How can you argue against them?

Bloody good music.

Tom Morello is simply a god playing guitar :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭col_nicholson

here here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

rage against the machine deffinately!

system of a down are good but they dont come close to ratm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

Rage Against The Machine

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Styles are too different, you can't compare the two bands.

RATM 0wns j00.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Whoever started this post needs a slap, The two styles are REALLY different, the only thing these bands have in common is the fact that some of the SOAD songs have some political lyrics, not all the songs though.

If you ask me Music wise SOAD would come out of top, just for the diversity of the sound, but it is really close.
    Lyrically La Rocha comes out on top because of the fact he was rapping and had to keep it going in a theme, while SOAD have a musch more eclectic view on vocals.

Im a big RATM and a big SOAD fan and ill glady listen to both and not compare them, thank you.

BomB

Posted by bombidol:
    If you ask me Music wise SOAD would come out of top, just for the diversity of the sound
    and had to keep it going in a theme
    Replace 'diversity' with 'cheesy repetition' and 'theme' with 'belief'.

This is similar to Tabloid and Broadsheet.
    ie: SOAD/LimpBizkit/Dumpy Pankake are cheap generic pulp dross for the masses.
    RATM are well-founded, respected, informative band for the discerning mosher :)

I fell asleep as a young lad listening to the self-titled first album (taped off a mate). Evil Empire was the first tape I bought myself. At the age of 13/14.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Good reply .... really good.

Cheesy? Repitition? I dont know what band you have been listening to, I hear and see this all the time and its doing my head in, the inability to enjoy something new, If RATM were still around you would be pissing on them too because they would be doing the same style of stuff and would be classed as NuMetal because there are a million bands doing the Rap/Metal Thing, Never before has such a breath of fresh talent been unleashed on the world as System of a down, Listen and learn, move on, Whats done is done but look forward, because while you are sitting at home typing about how much you hate a band, they are out there making cash and making people happy.
    And dont say its not about cash, because if you were in a band you wouldnt like to stay underground forever, SOAD were causing a huge buzz in LA for ages before they were signed, They WERE underground and what happens to good bands that are'nt signed????? They GET Signed, Welcome to the real world.

BomB

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Originally posted by bombidol
    Whoever started this post needs a slap, The two styles are REALLY different, the only thing these bands have in common is the fact that some of the SOAD songs have some political lyrics, not all the songs though.

If you ask me Music wise SOAD would come out of top, just for the diversity of the sound, but it is really close.
    Lyrically La Rocha comes out on top because of the fact he was rapping and had to keep it going in a theme, while SOAD have a musch more eclectic view on vocals.

Im a big RATM and a big SOAD fan and ill glady listen to both and not compare them, thank you.

BomB
    Give that man a banana - great post - sums up my thoughts nicely.

I love both bands (but I'm not so sure about this new RATM stuff with Chris Cornell). They are different styles, but a similar genre - not the same at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Originally posted by bombidol
    Cheesy? Repitition? I dont know what band you have been listening to, I hear and see this all the time and its doing my head in, the inability to enjoy something new, If RATM were still around you would be pissing on them too because they would be doing the same style of stuff and would be classed as NuMetal because there are a million bands doing the Rap/Metal Thing, Never before has such a breath of fresh talent been unleashed on the world as System of a down, Listen and learn, move on, Whats done is done but look forward, because while you are sitting at home typing about how much you hate a band, they are out there making cash and making people happy.
    And dont say its not about cash, because if you were in a band you wouldnt like to stay underground forever, SOAD were causing a huge buzz in LA for ages before they were signed, They WERE underground and what happens to good bands that are'nt signed????? They GET Signed, Welcome to the real world.

bollocks. SOAD don't come even close to RATM. musically they're very good, excellent in fact. but they're lyrics are pure ****e.
    "JUMP! (pogo pogo pogo pogo pogo pogo pogo)
    BOUNCE! (pogo pogo pogo pogo pogo pogo pogo)" - yeah, insightful. it's gotten to the point where i can't listen to their new album without severe bouts of laughter or cringes.
    "I don't think you trust, in, my, Self-righteous suicide, I, cry, when angels deserve to die" - cheesy bull****.

Rage are in a class of their own. Zack was a fantastic lyricist, who wrote about a subject matter he was passionate about, SOAD on the other hand, can't write lyrics for **** so resort to nonsensical drivel.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Why does every single question on this board come down to 'old rock -v- new rock'.

Rage rock.

Soad are good in their genre. Someone compared them to poppy Limp Bizkit/nu-metal stuff. So what if they are in that genre.? I first heard of soad 6 years ago. Just because they've suddenly become popular, their music is worthless, unoriginal and manufactured? Grow up and stop following the 'I don't follow the crowd' crowd.

:)

[Rage win btw :p]

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

SOAD may be good... but they're poo in comparison with RATM... especially RATM's earlier stuff.

Why isn't this a poll?

"I dont follow the crowd, Crowd" Excellent! sums this up brilliantly
    Ok a few years ago RATM were the big thing, i dont know if many of you were around in the early 90's actually listening as it happened, buying all the RATM albums in the last year doesnt count, im talking about actually listening to "Killing in the name of" on a sunday night on the rock show, There was the same buzz, who are they whats going on, politics the whole lot, i sure a lot of people compared them to other bands too, (Run DMC and Bodycount come to mind) What you are missing is the point, and the point is that SOAD are NOT a political band, sure some of their lyrics are political but most are not, and even if there are political undertones they are mixed up with other ideas.
    The only thing these bands have in common is a political theme on some of their songs. as i have said before most ejits on this board just rip on any band that people other than themselves have heard, therefore Bands no one likes or have heard of = Good, Bands that have an audience = Band because they sold out, what are they meant to do now that they are becoming popular? Break up????

Grow Up!

BomB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

first you compared the 2 : "SOAD would come out of top, just for the diversity of the sound, but it is really close.

then you said "Im a big RATM and a big SOAD fan and ill glady listen to both and not compare them, thank you."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

"Soad are just another part of this gimpy 'Slipknot' Demi-goth sexeh 16-yearolds Demi-goth pop shíte. "

you are *so* dead
    :)

/me looks at the background on the comp beside him
    *giggle*

Ok i agree I did compare them there, but that was just for the sake of the arguement, but seriously you all need to get away from pissing on every new band, just appreciate the new things.
    And i have talked about SOADs lyrics before and they are a HELL of a lot better than some of the stuff out there.

BomB

• Advertisement

Heheh, pissing on every new band...lol
    I listen to an extremely broad range of music ("Respec' to da AGSatelite massif"), a large portion of which is just stuff I found on AGS and liked the name of. I wouldn't consider myself a muso (I'm not that self-satisfied :p) but here's some of the stuff I tap to:

You ever hear of Anouk? DropKick Murphies? Stiff Little Fingers (;) - I know -sssh ), Less Than Jake, Monkhouse, Sno Patrol, Guano Apes, At the Drive In, Wagon Christ (not strictly a band) or a myriad of others?
    You don't who you're talking to here mate.
    I have listened to some S.O.A.D., heard the lyrics and my mind was allready made up.
    The tune I heard was the one with the 'Angels who want to die' or some such bollix.
    Whatever they were, they are now nothing more then fodder to the current trend of faux-suicidal, spoilt ikkle Temblebar Music Centre kiddies wearing too much mascara and badly infected piercings trying to 'rebel' and 'speak out against xxxx subject' and what have you.
    Tosh.

(Of course, that's not to say that I wouldn't headbang with the rest of em on a night out on the lock in the Drum :p)

I dont know who im talking to? First off, if youre going to spout out a load of names of bands you reckon people dont know of get your facts straight, at least name some bands that dont have international exposure, Oh I listen to Guano Apes and At the drive in!!!! Yeah Great, Who doesnt, And you want to talk crap lyrics? ever listen to One Arm Scissor(Yes i know its their most know song). Grow up

BOmb

Of course some of tha badnds are popular.
    I listed a few of the bands I listen to and enjoy, some of which are kinda well known to demonstrate to you that a broad range of music is good for a person.
    Lyrics make half the song. SOAD have childish infantile lyrics. No real feeling behind them. I find it hard to take a band I wouldn't trust to come up with an origional non-hackneyed Limerick.

Sorry if I pushed the wrong button there.
    besides, you started it, comparing a decent band to a shíte one as though they were of the same ilk. Which they are most deffinately not. IMHO.

ok, we're going to leave this discussion alone now because its gone on too long and its getting to the point were its "im right Youre Wrong" and thats no fun at all, so well have to agree to disagree on this one.

Good Luck

BomB

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

You can't judge System of a Down having only heard chop suey.
    You should listen to their first (self-titled) album
    Its astonishingly brilliant, and the lyrics are very good
    Their second album wasn't as good but still excellent

And i'm going to see them for the second time at OZZFEST!
    WOO HOO!:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

anouk rule!

if you like anouk check out k's choice.. much better :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭immort4l

Give me slayer anyday.But rage are better than system if I was forced to choose one(eg:If someone was to threaten that if I did not pick one I would have to listen to both of them...).

Wow,upon reading my post again I am after realising how difficult it is to make sense of.Just read it again if you have trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Drunk pirate

I don't know weather to call "s.o.a.d." afghans or idiots. Rage are gods!Evil empire totaly rules system of a down are to.....well boring and the lead singer is to moany

Advertisement