Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gender based accommodation

Options
  • 02-03-2002 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭

I actually have a reall issue with these kinds of ads. I am in the slow tedious process of moving out of home for the first time and I can't help but notice that lots of the ad's in for example the herald specify 'male' only or more often than not, 'female' only.

Here is my issue, that is sexual discrimination ostensibly against males and to my mind it is totally, absolutely and completely wrong to filter the respondants to such advertisements because of gender, by doing so you are effectively saying that to disallow someone because of gender that there must be some kind of stereotypical reason that person_of_gender_n is unsuitable to rent a room in shared accomodation.

What's next ads that say
    "Room to let white,non-smoker prefered €300 pm"?

Nixon say
    / :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

What's next ads that say
    "Room to let white,non-smoker prefered €300 pm"?

No Unix evangelists need apply .....

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I suspect it is legal for people looking for someone to share with (it would be a domestic arrangement). However, I think it would be very hard for a landlord to justify it (commercial service).

Where are you planning on moving to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Unix evangelists....

I am planning for the North Side 'somewhere' that is about all she wrote so far. I have been out to a couple of places but no luck so far.
    It just kind of ticks me off that a fairly high proportion of the ads say 'female', as if it should matter. It seems discrimination is ok when it's perpitrated against a man, go figure.

For example I was looking at place even though the ad had said 'female only', and apparently the gril let the place to 'surprise' another girl, that was fine.

Then 6 days later she calls me back and says 'oh the girl who was meant to have moved in didn't' so duly I was invited to peruse the place, which I did, and guess what, after I had looked at the place it was let to another girl, surprise surprise, it's that kind of utter stereotyping that ticks me off.

Ok the place was dump so, I'm not exactly sorry, but still, I hate looking through the paper or www.daft.ie only to find 'Room to let, free, bills paid, lovely area, ns, female only', it seems the only kinds of ads for men are. 'Stinking hole, five drunken room-mates, non-hash smoking cleanly people need not apply'. Why don't the female only ads simply retype what they said with a bit of honesty, 'we don't want to share with men in case they try to have sex with us', at least that would be honest, if not subtle.
    /Rant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Jesus, what are you on.

People generally tend towards living in same sex situations etc...

I'd imagine a girl would feel 'safer' if living with another girl, and if it's sharing a room, which it usually is in the gender specific ads you can completely understand.

Also, if you're moving into a place with 3 girls/guys and they need one more person of course they're going to want someone of the same sex.

If you want to be really sexist you could say it's down to basic stuff as watching TV, guys will watch sport, girls soaps. To a large enough extent it's true. It's less hassle in the eyes of a lot of people.

I really don't see why you can't see any of that.

- Kevin

I'm not saying I don't understand the perogative, nor that if it were me doing the renting that I wouldn't be as unreasonable, but it simply strikes me as a kind of arbitrary discrimination, based on gender and before you ask it wasn't a room share.

So I personally find that notion that as a male I am less likely to find a place to share to live in as derogatory and an anthema to the 'supposed' equalisation of the genders throughout human society.

Go easy man....
    .....This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

Pretend to be gay, they'll think they've hit a winner, then once you're fully settled in, bring the missus in for a few nights.

/ :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Girls might find it harder to walk around in panties and bras if theres a guy in the house.

Or if you would like to believe some self-serving bull**** - they will find it hard to restrain themselves from falling head over heels for you, and theres nothing more difficult that three girls fighting over one man, and no they can never share, it takes a very special woman to do that.

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by Renton
    Pretend to be gay, they'll think they've hit a winner, then once you're fully settled in, bring the missus in for a few nights.

Hmmm, hasn't worked for me, and I actually am :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 reb

If its your place & you want to rent a room or two then you should be allowed to put whatever you want in the ad. As well as geneder I don't think theres even a problem describing whether you want white, black yellow or green person.

Of course it should be illegal for a commercial landlord to do likewise although that doesn't mean they don't do it.....

• Advertisement

Hmmm, interesting point. Can a private (letting person living on the premises) letting specify questionable grounds? Well, I don't I'll be allowing such posts here.
    Originally posted by reb
    Of course it should be illegal for a commercial landlord to do likewise although that doesn't mean they don't do it.....
    Such advertising is illegal under the Equal Status Act.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

because most blokes are messy filthy bas7ards and most girls downt want to live with them for that reason.

i think its a health thing.......

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    because most blokes are messy filthy bas7ards and most girls downt want to live with them for that reason.

i think its a health thing.......
    I have to say every girl I've ever lived with (including the 3 I share a house with at the moment) have been messier than the blokes. And they always get up on their high horses about clean up as well.

I remember a phenomenon that was mentioned a while back. Women who wear "landlord tops" (really tight and/or revealing) in an effort to stall / not pay the rent (services rendered or not ;))

Advertisement