Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imposting from the Sates

• 18-02-2001 9:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what it is like to but stuff online from the states. Costs, taxes, duties etc. (Gerry maybe u can help)

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid. "
    - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. "
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
    The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. "
    - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I have ordered from a few companies in the states. The only one I would order again from is www.crucial.com , I ordered memory from them several times, it always arrived in under 3 days, and delivery was only $15. Other places are not so efficient, I was waiting a week and a half for parts from knowledge micro, during that time the price went down, and they passed none of that reduction on to me, as a way of saying sorry even. They also charged $45 for delivery. I was charged duty at the going rate of 21% on the above items.

I ordered a few p3 chips from a small company which was just starting up. This was fairly cheap, and quick. I won't bother giving the email, as you can now get chips etc cheaper from england, or other online stores.

Most american online stores will not ship outside america, which is a pity, as they have great prices. Those that do, tend to be suspicious of foreign credit cards, and may take some time to check it. They also usually have high delivery charges, which means it is only only worth it if you are buying several hundred dollars of parts. I am still looking for online stores which ship to Ireland, with good prices. If you find any let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Cheers Gerry. If i find any good sites i'll be sure to let u know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Careful there Keeks Crucial.com use Fed-Ex and they will charge you Duty. You could use they're shipping from the UK a little more expensive but quicker.

The main thing to check is if they ship via Fed-Ex or UPS as they both will hit you for Duty etc. I don't know about DHL or any of the other couriers but I have been nailed with those two.

Gandalf.

Cheers for the tip Gandalf.

Found a site that might be useful
    its http://www.pricewatch.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I was charged for duty by DHL on my HD from Knowledge Micro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

With regards to memory, a lot (if not all) will charge you memory prices based on the day it's ordered. So if the price goes down they won't pass it onto you. But if you return the memory you will get the lower price.

If the price goes up you get the price you bought the memory at.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Blitzkrieger:
    I was charged for duty by DHL on my HD from Knowledge Micro</font>

How much did the duty cost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

21% on goods over 75 quid i think?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WhiteWashMan:
    21% on goods over 75 quid i think?</font>

If thats the cost of by goos from the States then that duty wipes out any savings u might make. It will be cheaper to by from england.

Any1 check out any companies within the Euro Zone?

• Advertisement
Advertisement