Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Telnet port connections

Options
  • 02-03-2002 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭

Anyone know off hand is it possible to make a port eg.qotd 17/tcp emulate telnet port 23/tcp? Reason for asking is that I remotely manage 400 NT clients and every so often a PC freezes and although I have constant pings etc. cannot telnet port 23. If I telnet port 17 or a few others I get a reponse but can't do anything with it. Or any other ideas. Tried Sys Internals PSTOOLS, VNC but same thing happens.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭wintermute

You don't mention which telnet daemon you're using on NT. If you ment to say 2K then it's in the last option in "Display / Change registry settings" Otherwise, refer to the manual that came with your product.

However, I doubt this will fix your problem as it does not address why machines are "freezing" Do you have any more info on the problem - patterns to the freezes etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Sorry for late response but busy all week. I use Fictional Deamon v1.4. It will let me setup a different port for telnet, but not multiple ports. Your right in probing why they crash in the first place. Not had too much time lately to investigate the initial problem of why they crash. Suspicions are firstly that because they are left on 24/7/365. Not to good an idea so am setting a few of them up in the scheduler to reboot at 3am once a week and see what difference that makes. Secondly, a large portion of the clients that freeze are configured to have no keyboards. Have an event log pointing at this registrey setting but it is correct!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Difficult

not much help on this occasion but if the box's are on 24/7
    you should look into tripwire

www.tripwire.com

Advertisement