Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I Have A Leg To Stand On?

• 03-03-2002 1:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭

Bought an IBM deskstar about a year ago, don't recall exactly when , but the drive has a manufactured date of Feb-2001 on it.

Bought it in Peats, but receipt is long lost, anyway i can get it replaced, its got the dreaded knocking sound and is completely inaccessable?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

You haven't a sniff.

28 days and it's your problem as far as peats is concerned else if you had a copy of a guarantee so that you could persecute IBM else (and let me say I'm not advocating this) simply go down to Peats and make a scene you never know you might get lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Macker

go to the IBM website and stick in the serial number of the drive and it should tell you if it's still under guarentee ,Had the same problem myself ,ended up I had to get an RMA number from the web site and post it back to holland ,had a new drive within a week but it wasn't an IBM though

Gerry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Macker yesss!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for that brilliant post :))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

The IBM site says its still under warrenty and have arranged an rma.

Nice one , cannot thank you enough!

By the way, for those of you with dead IBM drives, worth checking out the url...

http://www.storage.ibm.com/warranty/jsp/arma31.jsp?ibmer=0

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I know you want a new drive, but just for the laugh, you could try the method posted by inspector gadget in this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42120

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Same thing happened to me with a Maxtor drive. I contacted Maxtor directly and they even arranged a courier to take my dud drive and bring me a new one :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

i hand the same problem with an ibm 40gig.

After (i think) one month you have to send it back to the manufacturer. Be carefull what you pack it in though, it doesnt matter what it came in. It has to go back in an antistatic bag, the silver kind, not the the plastic kind. i remember because they made a big issue about it having to be wraped right. If you look around the site you will probably find the exact requirements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Originally posted by Typedef
    You haven't a sniff.

28 days and it's your problem as far as peats is concerned else if you had a copy of a guarantee so that you could persecute IBM else (and let me say I'm not advocating this) simply go down to Peats and make a scene you never know you might get lucky.

Anything bough 'New' in this country has a mandatory 1 year warranty from the retailer.
    Most computer components carry 3 year warranties from the verndors too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

There is a way to fix this and it is very easy too :)

You go to the following url

Drive Fitness test

download it and run it. It will creat a bootable disk. You then restart your computer, set the BIOS to boot from floppy. When the program has loaded, you run the test, if it finds bad sectors you can use the program to Fix/ingore them, it worked on my 30Gig 75gxp. Even when doing a full format it doesn't find them. How ever to fix, it will have to wipe the drive....but it works a treat

GL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

Had a similar probelm with a quantum drive I bought in the US a few years ago and broght back to Ireland. It was DOA so Ic alled up quantum. I sent it to dundalk at the time. They shipped me a new one from the US directly... Moral of this story - its always worth a try....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

The drive went "clunk clunk"...the bios wouldnt detect it..neither did the dft..it was beyond recovery imho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Spoonman

Originally posted by Longfield
    The drive went "clunk clunk"...the bios wouldnt detect it..

The all too familiar "clunk clunk" :( Same thing happened to my 60gxp in Feb, Sent it back to RMA and got a new one a month later. This time around I'm playing it safe and have 2 fans bellowing air at the harddrive to keep it cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Just got the clunk clunk myself. IBM 60GXP only 3 months old. Waiting for OCUK to get back to me with a returns number.

Lost a **** load of stuff. IBM ****.

.logic.

Advertisement