Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amendments to the Constitution

Options
  • 03-03-2002 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭

Is there anywhere that someone can view what was written into the constitution before it was changed by an amendment. ie is there anywhere someone can see the original draft of the constituiton that was drawn up in July 1937.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Every constitution has a list of previous amendments (Article Ref. Nos.) so you can probably work out yourself just what exactly wasn't in there. I'm afraid I couldn't find a 1937 copy online - have it right in front of me though.

Basically, in reference to this abortion referendum, all you have to do is pretend Article 40.3.3 isn't there (previously there were only two subsections).

This site: http://www.ucc.ie/ucc/depts/law/irishlaw/constitution/ pretty much has all the various different drafts over the years, including the 1922 constitution so it might be of some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Thanks for that Dadakopf but not exactly what I'm looking for. Every constitution has a list of previous amendments, but not what was changed.

Let me give and example. As part of the good Friday agreement we as a nation changed Articles 2 and 3 of the constitution aswell as added subsections to article 29 (i think). Now I have what we changed 2&3 to but not the text we changed then From/. What exactly did articles 2&3 say before hand or any other article that was changed say beforehand for that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

What articles are you looking for exactly? I can type them out if you want - have the '37 constitution in front of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Its not really any article in particlular, i just would like to compare the constitiuion now and then. I take it that you are looking at a paper version and not a digital copy?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I have the last 3 or 4 editions (from about 1992 - they only cost about €2) in paper form if they are any use.

I once saw a real Free State Constitution, but I'm avoiding the owner.

You should be able to get each version from the Clerk of the Dáil, certain main libraries, universities.

It is possible that An Gum / Government publications office have copies - but they are banned by the constitution from re-publishing them (not sure about re-printing).

Also Look under "IRISH LAW" and "IRISH ELECTIONS AND REFERENDUMS" here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41016

• Advertisement
Advertisement