Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying a microphone

Options
  • 03-03-2002 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

My brother and a couple of his friends have started practising as a band and he wants to buy a mic and boom stand. I've heard from lots of places that shure make a high quality one, but its well over 100 Euro. In shops there's a seinhouser (sic) one which is about 70 euro and then other cheaper ones around 40 or 50 euro.

He's planning on using the mic through his amp as it has 2 inputs. Will this just sound crap? I figure he's better off just getting a fairly cheap one for now as they're only mucking about anyway.
    Any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

What is it for - vox or guitar...?
    The Shure sm57 or 58 is great for multi - vocals and sticking up against the amp of a guitar for recording.

Try and get a second hand Shure, it'll be just as good I'd say.
    What models were you looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

It would just be used for vocals during a jamming session, I'm not looking for anything to actually record with. I don't know the actual models I was looking at.... just the prices

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Sure, it doesn't really matter what type if you're just starting out.

You really want a dynamic microphone though. I'd say get the absolute cheapest possible mic out there (I've used €20 mic's to record with and they were semi OK).

Goto www.peats.ie for irish prices ideas ->
    http://www.peats.ie/cgi-bin/shop/db.cgi?view=1&id=1416&type=6&sid=122736x0 for example

or even this cheapie->http://www.peats.ie/cgi-bin/shop/db.cgi?view=1&id=1602&type=6&sid=122736x0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Bite the bullet and get a Shure SM58, its not that expensive and it will last forever, and its used by just about every famous band live.

bomB

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I'd go for the most expensive one i could afford. It'd be worth it in the long run. The best mikes you can get are good condenser ones, but there expensive. Very expensive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Scon

I got a Shure SM58 for free last year and I'd buy one if I lost it. As far as pro mics go it's extremely cheap. I wouldn't spend less than €100.

Advertisement