Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When Fans GO Toooooo Far!!

• 03-03-2002 3:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭

Found This on another site. This must have taken aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages to do.Its the whole Star Wars movie...all in ACSII :eek: (kinda like the SMS cartoons you get on nokia phones)

Start > Run > Telnet > open towel.blinkenlights.nl

Have fun :p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

dear god! they're are people out there even worse than me!!! :D
    cool btw :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

If anyone actually does watch all of it, come back here and tell us how long it goes on for.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

lol, oh dear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

man that is SCARY..i'll find out tomorrow morning how long it is..i'm not wasting my bandwidth on that ascii stuff...still almost as good as acsii pr0n .mmmmmm</sarcasm>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

I didnt think it would take up much bandwith????its only text?????:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

like i said i dont want to waste my bandwidth....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Its about 20mins long, i forget what happens in that one so i can't tell ya's how far into the movie it is!

Am they've just been brought aboard the death star or somthing, i got bored n stoped looking :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

yea saw that a while back

raised an eyebrow
    closed the telnet window

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I watched it through a good while ago, it's not the whole movie (about half an hour iirc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

the ultimate classic waste of time for the true nerd!!!

ALMOST makes me say "good work fellah" except for the extreme nerdy sadness involved in spending quite so many hours putting it together...

still, though,... eh...

jaysus :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

ha ha ha ha
    i opened it at 8pm last night when i came into work .
    and checked back on it through the night it was still on at 5am ,not sure if it looped or somfin but 9 HOURS.
    what is the movie it looks good i might watch it one day ......lol
    Kdja

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

...when this sort of thing was commonplace; there were no high-resolution graphical displays (at a sane price) as there are today, before the birth of the world wide web (read: late eighties), when (OMFG do I feel old right now!) a lot of people were restricted to text-terminals, particularly DEC VTxxxs (or stuff that emulated them) that allowed for character positioning through escape sequences.

There was one that went around after the cancellation of the Star Trek TV show in 1973 (yes, I did say nineteen SEVENTY three) that had the equivalent of an episode in it... basically what I'm saying is that this stuff is FAR from new. Whether it's worth bothering with in the least, I'm not so sure...

Gadget.
    P.S.> Anyone remember SiXel or ReGis? They were character-based languages as well that allowed simple terminals to render bitmap and vector graphics, respectively, on VTxxx terminals. I remember a guy who did up his signature in ReGis, which was pretty scary; then again, I know another guy who did his in PostScript... I know a lot of weird people, methinks... :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

What - I get a crappy site about hardware - has missed the boat on this one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by kdja

what is the movie it looks good i might watch it one day ......lol
    Kdja

Surely you jest...

re-read the first post in this thread... : "it's the whole Star Wars movie..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Originally posted by buddy
    What - I get a crappy site about hardware - has missed the boat on this one!

Look at the original post more carefully. You don't stick that address into your web browser, you throw it at your telnet client...

Gadget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Bard
    yes i jest ,i jest.......lol
    Kdja

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

That is fantastic! I'm looking around for other animations! There fun to watch! I didn't know things like that existed! Does anyone know of anyothers?

For those above that are having difficulty viewing it on telnet just click [URL=telnet://towel.blinkenlights.nl/]here[/URL]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

Speaking of nerdy fans, guess what I just found? And I think it may just top the star wars film!

Its Shakespeares "Hamlet" rewriten in Klingon! Can you imagine how long that would take? Looking up every word in the dictionary and aparently the grammer isn't the easiest!

http://services.tos.net/services/text/klingon/kli-hamlet.txt

Or perhaps you'd like "Much ado about nothing!"

http://services.tos.net/services/text/klingon/kli-ado.txt

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Jesus christ..... but i can't seem to stop watchin....:D :D

Advertisement