Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let's pour gallons of water into my extremely expensive computer and see what happens

• 20-02-2001 9:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭

A very interesting article at The Register on a replacement to fans and heatsinks.

Link working now

[This message has been edited by Keeks (edited 20-02-2001).]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

Any chance of your link workin pls???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

the link works alright..
    i just cant see anyone in their right mind using watercooling...
    reminds me of the debate over porsche 911s smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Watercooling 0wns, I was looking at Mugs' rig the other day and it's very neat indeed. If you're running a socket Athlon at over a Ghz, it's a genuinely good idea to invest in watercooling gear; having seen the effects of installing it on (a) the noise and (b) the temperature of mugwums machine (and a couple of other guys in the clan), I decided to bite the bullet myself.

It does seem a bit overkill, but one thing mugwum doesn't mention in the article on the register is that you can use mineral oil instead of water - it conducts heat just as well, and DOESN'T short out your board if any of it spills. This makes the whole thing a lot safer, and a nice quiet pump humming sure as hell beats a FOP32 fan making a noise like a jumbo jet smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

True, my PC really lets me know when it's booting up. Especially the front intake fan which occasionally catches on the front bezel making a god-awful screaming noise which can only be stopped with a swift kick.

So if you got a tub of this mineral oil could you just chuck a pc into it? hmmmm changing cd's/floppies would be interesting...

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!
    art is everything and of course nothing and possibly also a sausage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

that has to be the biggest load of cr*p i have ever heard of. if you go to www.hardocp.com and go to the forms there and ask the people that do this stuff a lot you will get a true answer for water cooling, also see how the places the buy from are english and then they say oh we in england cant get these......did they think of a us online store? works when i need to get something. also Peltier coolers if looked into right and you have done some reading on them are a O/C's best friend(as we are to sad toy go out and meet real people biggrin.gif )

i say up Peltier's and up water cooling

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

[This message has been edited by sutty (edited 21-02-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Peltiers are kinda nice in principle, but they're Dodgy Sh|t inside an actual PC case because the physics principles involved call for one side of the peltier to be VERY hot; far hotter than any exposed surface in a PC should be. Water or mineral oil cooling is by far the most sensible cooling system there is.

That aside, you can slag the article for looking at UK retailers all you like, but watercooling gear is touchy stuff, and if I have a problem with it I want a retailer who knows what he's at and is awake the same hours I am and at the end of a phoneline, not a random email address in the USA or - worse - having to require on asking questions from the muppets in the hardocp forums...

Advertisement