Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business Software Alliance...Your views

Options
  • 03-03-2002 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭

http://www.bsa.org/ireland/report/
    or 1890 510010

What do people think about the effectivness of this inititaive re: the reprting of Software Piracy in business in Ireland. Its been in the news for a few years now but I haven't heard of anyone successfully collecting the £5000 reward as of yet.(obviously theres is anonymity but usually you might hear something on the grapevine)

Do you think the £5000 is enough to coax people into publicising the facts of what seems to be an indemic problem in Irish business.[1 in 2 Software Programs] Do you think it should be increased and would you feel ethically, morally obligated to report such actvity if it were going on in a company you worked in?

What do you think of the enforcement level- Have you been contacted by the BSA?

Do you know anyone who has reported Software piracy to the BSA?

Do you know businesses who actively engage in copyright infringement through using pirated software or outside its usage remit and if so on what scale?

Are there broader issues...
    Is the pricing structure of software and the EULA's too restrictive for SME's and sole traders to comply with. Are the major software companies abusing their dominant position??

Your thoughts/views Please

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

at the recent "Computer Trade Only" show at the NEC microsoft were doing seminar talks offering up to £10,000 rewards to employees who shopped their bosses for using pirate software,maybe the idea was to put teh "ph33r of god" into boses and compell them to stop cutting corners.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I dislike the BSA intensely, I find their attempts to pass themselves off as an "official" (i.e. governmental) organisation offensive. Who here got the "software audit" last year? I don't know about you, but to me, it looked distinctly like it was /meant/ to appear like the BSA was acting on the authority of Government, and that if you didn't respond, you could be in trouble.

Me, I stuck a Red Hat sticker on it and sent it back. Screw the BSA.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

I see they have upped the Reward to 10,000 euro, but if you want to claim this amount you have to provide them with more personal info- although they guarentee confidentiality !?

If anyone is thinking of ratting your boss in, I'd make sure to read their confidentiality agreement before you hand over your vital statistics!

BTW Adam,
    I dont like their quasi Govt. tones either TBH-
    Their site is at times very misleading on that issue.

I think they should be brought up on in 80p, it's deliberately so.

I got my "annual audit" the other day. Looking for one of the big Red Hat stickers to send back to them.

I'm writing to tell them to remove me from their mailing list too. The Data Protection Act is the biz for this sort of stuff.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

heres a tip..

*Just c & p a red hat image into word,
    *Highlight it, then select envelopes and labels and print it off on an Avery label

Thats what I feel like doing after revisiting their site just now ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Since they are heavily sponsored by Microsoft and Oracle I don't like them. This should be highlighted on heir site. The BSA - A microsoft puppet. They act like some government dept but try and look like an independent business group.

They really messed up in England a few years ago when they published the names of companies who would not comply with their audits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Originally posted by 80project
    What do you think of the enforcement level- Have you been contacted by the BSA?

My dad's company (i work part time there) got a letter this morning from them asking to fill in a form with details of their software, etc.

Actually it looked a *lot* like spam junk mail looking for an excuse to get the company contact details...

<< Fio >>

I got my "reminder" yesterday. I said I'd run it through the scanner and WOCAR for you lot:
    There's still time for you to return your Software Audit Return.

Since the last time we contacted you, several companies have been reported for suspected software piracy and we are anxious that you avoid finding yourself in a similar situation. The Software Audit Return is designed to help you assess the legal situation of your software. If you have not returned your form yet there is still time to do so before the deadline - the 19th April 2002.

In Irish businesses, almost 1 in 2 software packages is used illegally - that is without a proper license. By now you will be aware that there are severe penalties for businesses caught using software illegally. Penalties that include up to €127,000 in fines, up to five years in prison for company principals, or both. So please remember that you could be personally liable for the software used within your company.

By going through the process of completing the Software Audit Return, you will be able to establish whether your company is legal and we would ask you to treat it as seriously as a tax return. Simply complete the form and return it to us. If your return shows good licensing practice, we'll issue you with a Certificate of Recognition to show everyone that they are dealing with a company that takes all its business obligations seriously.

The Return should not take long to complete and will provide valuable information on the legal status of your software. lf you need any help or advice on completing your form, we are more than happy to offer you our assistance, contact our help team on 1890 510 010, email infoireland@bsa-org or visit bsa-orq/ireland [screw that, I'm not giving them a link]. On the website you will also find further information and downloadable audit tools to help you with the process of getting legal software. Alternatively, please see the enclosed information sheet.

Thank you for understanding the importance of software management.
    adam

Advertisement