Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RANT buying a .ie domain name

Options
  • 04-03-2002 1:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

ok heres my rant

If I want a .co.uk domain name i can do so without any problem but when I try to buy a .ie one i need all sorts of stuff that only companies have.

All I want is to buy .ie for my personal website and dont feel i should waste money on .com name besides all the .com .net .org names that I want are all taken

would be curious if commercial establishments are allowed to buy more than one .ie domain name and would they be interested in buying one for me

---END RANT---

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Get a 30 euro RBN Cert from the companies office, and you can register the .ie of your choice :)

Stephen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

I sympathise with your frustration.

There is no doubt that the current IEDR rules discriminate against private individuals when it comes to registering domains.

That said, the rules worked well this week when a student tried to register permanenttsb.ie through our site, thinking he could make a few quid selling it. I mailed him back and told him he had two chances.....

In many ways, .coms and .ie are opposites:

You can't register the .com domain you want because it's so easy to register a .com that it's already taken.

You can't register the available .ie version because the rules are so strict on who may register a .ie.

The IEDR rules are flawed, but they are always going to be when you try to be all things to all people. It's not fair to compare .IE domains and .com domains as they are distributed in such vastly different ways.

Also, you cannot "buy" a .IE domain. You are granted a licence to use it. Selling .IE domains is illegal and something the IEDR view seriously. I know of one such case where the Gardai were called in to investigate.

Ronan

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Get a 30 euro RBN Cert from the companies office, and you can register the .ie of your choice

can you provide me with address /phone number or whatever

I want the .ie because I'm irish

I have no interest whatsoever in selling the name on Its for my personal use

Who are the IEDR and how do I get in contact with them.

before i go i just wanted to say thanks for the info ronan and stephen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

Get a 30 euro RBN Cert from the companies office, and you can register the .ie of your choice :)

Not enough according to the IEDR website (I also wanted to do this). You must show proof of active trading under the Registered Business Name - bank statements, VAT receipts, that sort of thing.

I agree that the IEDR is holding back the potential of the Internet in this country. If you wanted to run a political commentary site under .ie, for example, you cannot do it. It's a stifling of individual free speech.

The IEDR does have "discretion" though, I believe, so if your web idea is compelling, it might be worth asking ayway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Follow this proceedure:

1) Go to www.cro.ie
    2) Download the Word version of the RBN Application that applies to you (usually a Sole Trader)
    3) Complete the form, post to the Companies office with your 30 euro
    4) A wekk or so later, you get a cert through the post from the CRO
    5) Apply for the .ie domain at somewhere like www.register365.ie, providing the RBN number in the application
    6) Get your domain!

:)

It is usually fairly simple.
    Stephen

• Advertisement
Advertisement