Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats your web design tool of choice?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

Originally posted by PiE
    Useless.

??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

Notepad for editing HTML? How about getting yerselves a real text editor?

I thoroughly recommend UltraEdit. It's as good as emacs but you don't need 11 fingers. It has regular expression searching, split views, column editing, spell checking, syntax highlighting and every other feature you ever wished for in an editor.

It is also easy to use and very snappy. I use it for everything.

Ce mhead? How much? Looks like you have to purchase!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

I just downloaded trial version there, according to that you get a thirty day trial, but according to the website youre supposed to get a 45 day trial (go figure).

The full pricing is here: http://www.ultraedit.com/registration/index.html it seems a tad expensive considering I already have notepad and most windows machines ship with word which has an in-built spellchecker, again go figure. I reckon the 17.50 price point, thats set for upgrading previous owners would be good enough for them, especially considering that the greatest text editor in the world (VI) comes absolutely free, along with an absolutely free OS (linux). So again go figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

Originally posted by Baz_
    it seems a tad expensive considering I already have notepad and most windows machines ship with word which has an in-built spellchecker, again go figure. I reckon the 17.50 price point, thats set for upgrading previous owners would be good enough for them, especially considering that the greatest text editor in the world (VI) comes absolutely free, along with an absolutely free OS (linux). So again go figure.

OK, if you are running Linux then all bets are off since UltraEdit is only for Windows.

Speaking for myself, I consider $35 money very well spent in this case. It's a quality piece of software and my productivity has doubled since I began using it about four years ago.

I disagree that Notepad and Word can remotely compete in terms of power and functionality but you have 30 days (or 45) free trial so you can decide for yourself. I'll be interested to hear anyone's opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

ah yes but theres a wealth of other FREE editors out there, most of which will have a specialty, i.e. the 1st page 2000 app I mentioned, absolutely free. This means that the "suite" of tools it gives you are geared towards the web and it has some nice documentation too.

Now if you are a command line programmer (for c or java or whatever) I dont think the addition of a spellchecker over notepad would make much difference, but granted after working with visual c++ for a few years the benefits of colour coded keywords are not lost on me (I am of course assuming UltraEdit has that ability).

All in all there are a number of reasons to pay for a flexible editor, but I think there are more than enough free tools out there to not bother.

Baz_

P.S. Never forget what the wisemen say: "you get what you paid for"

P.P.S. I happen to be a student so thats why I dont pay.

Download.com has 115 free HTML editors

Go here!

Advertisement