Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web Design domain suggestions!

Options
  • 04-03-2002 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

If you had no limitations to the name you would choose for your domain.

e.g. www.webdesign.com

What domain name what you choose to get visitors or to make it catchy etc?

www.websites.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

Haha - I don't think they would be catchy domain names - sure I'd love em but I mean generic domain name for this type of business!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

well unfortunately amp is also a major computing components manufacturer and pretty much owns every combo of www.amp.*
    Which is what I'd like. I do own www.amptest.tk though, and am thinking of purchasing www.amptest.com et al.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

amp test

Wow - overwhelming response - lol - wonder what www.buddy.com is - I'm afriad to look!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Buddy.com

"The Buddy System, LLC
    Buddy®: A Keyboard Companion For The HP Palmtop Computers.

This site is best viewed on a Mac!"

Hideous.

Looks like I had good reason to be afraid!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Originally posted by buddy
    If you had no limitations to the name you would choose for your domain.

Go for a unique name that reflects your company identity. Generic domains are an absolute disaster to market. Most of the .ie generic domains have mouldered almost unused since the day they were registered.

Make sure that the domain name is short or at least very memorable. Check that it can be spoken over a phoneline and understood at the other end. You would be surprised at the number of people who are told a domain name over a phone and then get it wrong when trying to type it in.

If your company is to appear in the Golden Pages, then have the domain name begin with 'a'.

Anything more and I will have to write an article about this for the Whois.ie e-zine. ;)

Regards...jmcc

JMCC,

Thank you very much - you have been helpful - I was considering a generic name for the site but I may think it through some more based on you info.

However, I don't want to offer someone hosting on a site like:

www.buddydesign.com/yourcompanyname

as that would'nt be attractive to the company.

A generic name might be more apporpriate.

buddy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

well im quite proud of my domain name and i was really surprised is was still available when i regestered it a few months ago.
    Site is down at the moment though.
    www.spoiltchild.com

which means i get a great email address :)

• Advertisement

Yes, nice domain name - whats the e-mail address - no imagination at the moment to guess.

P.S. Why is it autoforwarding to www.boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

cos the new server is not ready yet to host it, so i have it pointing there cos its as good a place as any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

Originally posted by buddy
    Got my imagination working:

Doesn't take alot, does it? :)

Originally posted by Figment
    cos the new server is not ready yet to host it, so i have it pointing there cos its as good a place as any.

Hehe - a better place to redirect it to (sawwy guys) is www.alcobuds.com

Advertisement