Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD Region 0??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Magwitch

You can get a patch off the net that negates the region lock on PC DVD so the region makes no difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

A patch for the PC won't make any difference to him, Magwitch- if you read above in the post you'd see he's using a Region 2 Phillips 955 player and a TV.

BTW: I wasn't aware that they both existed, but apparently they do- and I'm curious... which is better, as regards standalone players which you use with a TV... multiregion or region free? I'm told that some DVD discs wont be playable on a region free (region 0) player but a multiregion players will play DVD's of all regions... any truth in the rumour?

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 23-02-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Bard your talking about a Enhanced Region Protection coding called RCE used by Colombia Tristar in the US.

It detects if your player is a non-region one and displays some annoying message that it cannot be played. On DVD's that can be manually changed to different Regions it doesn't work. Infact there was a post on the boards @ www.dvdtimes.co.uk that an RCE Region1 disc can be actually be played on a Region2 Player.

Do a search on usenet and see how many posts come up regarding RCE wink.gif The group I find most useful is uk.media.dvd.

Magwitch getting a patch depends on the make and firmware of your DVD drive. You can use something like DVDgenie or Remote Selector on your DVD player software to allow you to play different region DVD's.

Gandalf.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

mmm Philips 955..... mmmm silver goodness...
    CT, i have one of these and saw on some uk dvd site that with a universal remote control thingy, you can disable the region lock... but i CBA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

The DVD players you see in shops that claim to be region-free are actually set to Region 0. So if you're playing it in your PC I think you still have to switch your region.
    At least I think that's what it is...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I won't be playing it on a PC though - it's a Region 2 Phillips 955 player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

CT,

Yes it will play in a Region2 player. Region just means there is no regional coding on the DVD. One thing to watch out for is your TV can handle NTSC which this title will be coded in, (also if your DVD player can handle NTSC as well, which most can).

On another note. I advise you to check around the other DVD resellers as Barnes & Noble tend to be one of the pricer ones out there.

Also if this is your 1st order from them and your spending more than $40 use one of the coupons from this site to save yourself a few wads http://www.pricecompare.com/coupons.html

Gandalf.

The world is a sick machine Breeding a mass of ****
    - Greenday - Insomniac - Panic Song
    [img]http://gandalf_irl.tripod.com/siggy.gif[/img] My DVD Collection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Thanks Gandy - I figured you could be relied upon to sort out a DVD question. I did find cheaper prices elsewhere alright although I eventually found a region 2 version on amazon.co.uk so it should be with me soon.

Advertisement