Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That Atari thingie.....

Options
  • 04-03-2002 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭

....what is it? And why are the people around here so scary about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

The Atari Jaguar is/was a video game console system made in the USA. It was released originally in 1993 and won a few awards until PlayStation came along and blew it out of the water. You can read more about it here.

People aren't scared of it... but a lot of people on the boards use it as a final option in their polls, for those who don't really have an opinion but want to vote anyway... for de laff.

e.g.:

Who will win the general election:

FF, FG, SF, PD's, Greens, Atari Jaguar

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Heh, I had to go and Google Atari/Jaguar to find out what the hell people were talking about... :)

adam

Originally posted by Clain
    Thank you Bard, I knew what they said about you wasn't true.

you are going to elaborate on that, aren't you???

I think it's unfair the way Bard has been labelled in this way.

That chicken was asking for it.

heh

adam

Hell, no. Much more fun this way. :D

that gets the only response it deserves...

pfffffttt!!!

couldn't care less :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 leejon

The atari machine had one thing going for it..... an amazing conversion of the classic Williams Arcade Game 'Tempest'. If anyone rememebers that one, it was a really fast and loud shoot em' up.

Good for you, that's the only way you'll overcome it......

There's nothing to overcome if I don't know or care what you're on about. :p

Classic case of denial.

Bard, the chicken's been asking for you.

adam

Living with d'animals down in Kark, yeh start believing they can talk, eh Adam?

Baa.

[Rough translation: You can call me Do Little.]

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

A bit more on the Jaguar's history and it's roots as a Sinclair

Sinclair Loki

The Loki was intended to be an Amiga-beater, with custom graphics and sound chips, a "huge" 512x256 resolution in up to 256 colours and a 128K memory. The machine would also have a fully-buffered expansion bus, RGB, composite and TV display outputs, a serial port, two joystick ports, a light pen (supplied), three different types of MIDI port, stereo sound in and out, a headphone socket, and a video recorder/video disc interface. On top of all of that, floppy disk, hard disk, compact disk, mouse and modem connectivity would also be available. This remarkable package would cost as little as £200.

All of this was, of course, completely unrealistic and the specification amounted to little more than a wish-list. At the time, the Amiga, which was in some respects more limited than the Loki specification, cost £1,500. Much of that cost was due to its sophisticated custom-designed hardware. The Loki would have cost millions to develop over a period of several years (the Amiga took four years) and a £200 price point was far too low if the developer expected to make any money back.

In the event, the machine appears to have got no further than the design phase and was abandoned by Amstrad. Interestingly, however, its concepts did come to fruition in a very different form. After the Amstrad takeover, two ex-Sinclair engineers, John Mathieson and Martin Brennan, set up their own company called Flare, drawing on the Loki designs to produce a new multiprocessor games console. Atari were drawn into the project and, seeking to challenge the Sega Genesis/Megadrive and Super Nintendo, brought the machine to the market as the Atari Jaguar.

According to Jaguar developer Andrew Whittaker, "Some of that [Loki] technology also found a home in a machine called the SAM Coupé, which was manufactured and produced in the UK by MGT technologies (Bruce Gordon and Alan Miles, both ex-Sinclair staff also). It shared many interesting features with the Jaguar in terms of its video chip, but the machine sold very badly in Europe and the company folded."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

I really don't get the facinastion with atari jaguar. Sure enough it was a decent enough console but it wasn't that great!!! Who was the the person who came up with putting atari jaguar for if you have no opinion anyway??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Atari Jaguar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

amp test! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

The first use of the phrase "Atari Jaguar" on boards.ie was by Bugs in this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34291&highlight=Atari+Jaguar

It aroused memories of Atari's console legacy in a couple of threads following that.

The first poll containing an Atari Jaguar option was this one:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34291&highlight=Atari+Jaguar

and for some strange reason it seemed to stick.

(results from boards.ie's search engine)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Atari Jaguar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Terran

I have an old Atari PC and I opened it up the other day and there was a family of DEAD WOODLICE inside in it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

50 million woodlice can't be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 symboybot

leejon wrote: »
    The atari machine had one thing going for it..... an amazing conversion of the classic Williams Arcade Game 'Tempest'. If anyone rememebers that one, it was a really fast and loud shoot em' up.

It was a pretty good facsimile of the Arcade version. I still have a working one (Arcade table model) in my computer room (formerly a darkroom).:D

Advertisement