Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Home Network

Options
  • 04-03-2002 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭

I am looking to set up a wireless LAN in my house. I have 1 PC and a Laptop. The PC has the ADSL connection and I want to be able to share the Internet Connection with the Laptop.

I need some advice as to what equipment I will need. If I get a PCI wireless card and a PCMCIA wireless card will I be able to create a LAN and also share the internet connection. Also if this works will I be able to successfully add another PC to the network or should I buy a base station in case I want to add more PC's?

I also need to mention that I need to do this cheap, so if anyone knows where I can get the required components cheap (or 2nd hand even) and tell me roughly how much it will all cost I would be very grateful.

Thanks,

viking

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

Bluetooth \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Bluetooth \o/
    ;)

Nah, Range is too short, ~10 metres is not really that far...

viking

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Yo. Don't know a hell of a lot about the wireless stuff, haven't worked with any yet. If you want to connect more than two machines then yeah you will need a basestation. I'd post on the wireless board if you haven't done already. Bkehoe i think can get the equipment at a good price. Don't quote me on that though.

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

If you want the real dogs bollox you should get some 802.11a kit from the States. It probably won't be licensed for use here yet until the fall but you get much better bandwidth and reach than 802.11b....

Originally posted by mayhem#
    If you want the real dogs bollox you should get some 802.11a kit from the States. It probably won't be licensed for use here yet until the fall but you get much better bandwidth and reach than 802.11b....

Can you recommend any US online stores that will ship to Ireland at a reasonable cost. Most of the online stores in the US think that International means Canada. I have yet to find a decently priced one thats ships to our fair green isle...

viking

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

Have a look at www.warehouse.com

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Bluetooth is bollox, for the money WLAN stuff is way better...

Yeah PCI->PCMCIA adapter and 2 PCMCIA cards, dont bother spending more money on better WEP (ie 64->128 bit) coz its crap either way. Very straight forward to set up more or less plug and go. AFAIK u can get one machine to act as a basestation if u need more devices

http://www.irishwan.org

has a mesg board and people with experience, but to be honest if its just one pc and a laptop its not rocket science :)

BTW anyone in range could jump on to ure net, which is somthing to be aware of. there are some great pics form the Corpo's WLAN in Waterford here

;)

Originally posted by The Cigarette Smoking Man
    Have a look at www.warehouse.com

Cheapest prices I've found so far, BUT and there's always a BUT... :(
    NOTE TO OUR INTERNATIONAL CUSTOMERS: Online ordering through warehouse.com is available only for residents of the United States, US Territories and Canada.

They do have a UK site -> MicroWarehouse.co.uk

But its more expensive than the US site, bugger it!

viking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

That must be new, cause I've ordered stuff off them in the past. Give them a ring or email them, they might take your order over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I don't think you'd need a base station. They are very handy if you wan tto extend the range, have alot of clients or need to hook it to a fixed line LAN/Net connection/whatever.
    Without the basestation the cards operate in 'ad-hoc' mode.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭byrnenj

I'm not exactly sure where to get the stuff, but i've set up a couple. It's not that hard to set up.
    All you need is :
    2 PCMCIA network cards and 1 PCMCIA adaptor for the desktop
    or
    1 PCMCIA network card and an external USB network adaptor for the desktop.

If you are only going to use it for internet sharing then 802.11b is fine.

They can be quite expensive, compared to a wired network. You want to think about a wired network....much faster, much cheaper, as long as don't mind the wires.

Also if you are going to use ad-hoc mode ( no base station/access point ) you might want to thik about how far away from each other the 2 machine are and how many walls and things you have in between.

To buy them you could try www.scan.co.uk

Advertisement