Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modem with new comp

• 22-02-2001 11:27pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok the modem I got with my computer is a total rip off
    its being sold for $20
    its a terrible modem

I saw this in a forum about the modem
    I bought a time computer 6 months ago in England. I was completely computer illiterate. My connection speed ranged from 12-15kbps with an hsp56 micromodem through aol.I had my phone line checked by an engineer who said that it was fine. I changed my isp to Freeserve and it immediately increased to 25kbps, better but still slow. I checked my modem in my brothers computer and it still ran slow.I then checked his in mine and it ran fast!! Instead of trying to fix it with a new driver or anything else i decided to ring Time to complain. After much arguing they have agreed to exchange my hsp for a rockwell hardware modem. The message is DONT ACCEPT SHODDY MERCHANDISE. It doesnt matter if it was cheap or expensive,it should still perform to a certain standard. DON`T FIX IT ,CHANGE IT AT THEIR EXPENSE!!!!

do I stand a chance as I bought mine also less than 6 months ago ?
    as I am seriously thinking about buying a new one aswell

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

I got a Time with a rockwell hardware modem and that is a pos. mac d/l speed i get is 2.5k a sec. My average online time is around 4 minutes before a disconect. The moral of this story? Dont buy PC's off manufactures, ie: Time, Compaq, Fujitsu. All they give you is ****ty generic ****e.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

well then what type of modem would you recamend to buy ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

YEah i have a Time computer too with the HSP modem and it sucks for on-line play. gonna upgrade to a riva diamond soon, they're supposed to be pretty nifty. just don't go to PCWorld or kegs will set you astray wink.gif

I need to think of a good signature.......

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

LOL
    any idea on how much that one will cost yea ?
    as I don't want to spend that much as I wil just end up getting cable in a few months biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

I've got a 3com external and it's leet aswell hehe.

I deal with these modems and problems everyday and at all costs avoid Time, Tiny, Fujitsu, Compaq, Packard Bell etc etc because it may seem like you get a good deal but at the price of shoddy hardware. You get what you pay for and in most cases you get alot less than you pay for.

Theres probably next to no hope they'll replace that for you OJ. Bite the bullet and buy an external/internal hardware modem.

Pace and USR seem to be the best.

.logic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

wel i cant complain with my "shìtty generic crap" modem that shipped with my gate way machine
    i recon its a generic software winmodem but i can always connect @ 48,000 and even 50,666bbs at times
    no probs getting a solid 6k download and nice pings to cs servers

moral of story
    dont believe all morals tongue.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i have a nice pace gamer external and i connect at 46kbps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 nard

where (pray may I ask) did you purchase the

Pace Gamer 56k modem

?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

RE: "Dont buy PC's off manufactures"
    - Good point, although it's all just a matter of finding out exactly what components are being used in your system (next to impossible at times).
    One redeeming feature I've seen though is on the Gateway2000.ie site where you can "custom build" your PC spec from a number of preset components... nice.
    Other than that, I'd build my own PC from scratch whenever I feel the need for more speed... tis more fun that way smile.gif

SONIC.gif

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I've got a Pace Gamer 56k modem and it's l33t!

Just thought I'd tell you all and make you annoyed. biggrin.gif

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Prepare yourself - The Beefy King stirs from his slumber...</font>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

My gateway came with an internal conexant/rockwell and it's great. connects at bout 42000k but thats coz of tha ****ty lines around lucan but pings are good on the cs servers and dl go about 4.5kb/s. so im happy smile.gif

<sig>Insert witty signature here</sig>

Yeah i have an internal hardware modem in another box logic, but I don't want to remove it, I am going out to buy a hardware modem and some network cards too
    anyone got any sujjections for computer hardware ?

thanks for your replys guy smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

I think mine is a lucent modem, 56k and internal.
    Used to give me sub 150 pings on Irish servers and currently gives me 5.5k d/l smile.gif

Nil Desperandum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

Trust external usb fax modem - 120 ping min.

d/l rate 5-6.5k a sec, connects at 46,666bps everytime.

110 bucks well spent I say, reduced my ping by nearly 100 smile.gifbiggrin.giftongue.gif

[This message has been edited by tactical anni (edited 24-02-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

^^^ That sounds good to me biggrin.gif

I need to think of a good signature.......

Advertisement