Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat Fusion ADSL info

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Kick-a$$ biggrin.gif
    it's promising at least

/me gets all moist...

[EDIT] They didn't say if normal telephone charges would be included frown.gif [/EDIT]

I need to think of a good signature.......

[This message has been edited by Q_Ball (edited 20-02-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

This was their reply when i regged....

Subject: ADSL

Thank you for registering you interest in Esat Fusion's ADSL service.
    By completing this form you have not applied for the ADSL service, you
    have merely registered you interest in receiving further information
    on the ADSL service. Esat Fusion will contact you when ADSL is available
    in your area.

If you have any specific questions relating to ADSL, please email
    adslinfo@esat.ie

No real info and as i live in leixlip i probably wont be hearing from them for months. I do live only a few hundred meters from my local exchange however.....so that could be noice......

Snaga

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

This has to be the best bit of news I've heard in a long time. As long as we don't have to wait untill December of this year smile.gif

kayos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

"and there is no more waiting for large files to download or graphics to crawl down the page." biggrin.gif

wooohooo hi-speed pr0n biggrin.gif

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Esat are still replying on Eircon to give them local loop access, and also for eircon to lower the access price. I'd day Esat are the last hope of DSL this year, and if Eircon get their way on charges, it'll b only viable for business use.

Extract From todays Irish Times:

"Esat is reviewing its digital subscriber line (DSL) strategy and may not deploy the technology without a Government subsidy to support its investment.
    DSL is a technology which enables companies to provide high speed "always on" Internet services and video over ordinary telephone lines.

Mr Richard Cooke, chief executive of the Esat Group, said yesterday the company was reviewing its DSL strategy and may pull out of trials with Eircom.

He said the high charges which Eircom proposed for accessing its local network made deployment of DSL uneconomic.
    "We have a situation where we don't have a single local loop unbundled and Eircom's proposed charges are among the highest in Europe," said Mr Cooke.

Mr Cooke said the lack of progress on regulatory issues meant nothing would happen unless the Government took the initiative and subsidised the roll-out of DSL technology.

A decision by Esat to pull out of offering DSL may stall the deployment of the technology in the Republic. Eircom will have little incentive to offer DSL if there is no competition.

Eircom has said it will allow competing firms to offer bitstream access to its network from April. Firms would then be able to offer DSL services by renting a line from Eircom.

Last week The Irish Times revealed that six firms including KPN/Quest, Cable & Wireless and Worldcom had pulled out of DSL trials.
    Eircom has proposed charging competing operators #32.50 per month to access a local loop on its network. Telecoms regulator Ms Etain Doyle has asked Eircom to submit a lower offer.

A delay in deploying DSL technology - which enables users to access high speed "always on" Internet services at low cost - would undermine the Republic's claim to be a premier e-commerce hub of Europe.
    "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭THE SPERMINATOR

Which brings us nicely back to where we started eircom still maintains a monopoly that was supposed to be abolished on jan 1st by EU order.As for ADSL access how many small exchanges around the country do you think will be ADSL compatible [bugger all is my guess]so even if esat do bring out ADSL unless you live in the major cites you wont see this service for many years even in the city i think it,ll take them a long time.Point of interest there was a proposed plan to lay new cables using the railway system as they run to all the major citys in Ireland this would negate any planning, compulsory purchase, and a plethora of other legal difficultys.All well and good except for one small problem certain people in this country have the power to make things happen unfortunately these people have no vested interest in seeing a new venture like this come into being so it wont happen.Its a shame because i thought it was a truly ingenious idea.Just hope im conpletly wrong as i like you i would love to have broadband.

Stone biggrin.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

".Point of interest there was a proposed plan to lay new cables using the railway system as they run to all the major citys in Ireland this would negate any planning, compulsory purchase, and a plethora of other legal difficultys.All well and good except for one small problem certain people in this country have the power to make things happen unfortunately these people have no vested interest in seeing a new venture like this come into being so it wont happen.Its a shame because i thought it was a truly ingenious idea.Just hope im conpletly wrong as i like you i would love to have broadband."

what the f*sk are you on about. Those cables were laid. The only problem is the beancounters in cie didn't consult with their engineers and now it will cost a fortune to lay the cables that should be along the tracks ie signalling cable.
    Both Esat and eircom have plenty of capacity between exchanges. The issue you are on about is adsl. Esat are dead right, and I'm sure Eircom agree with them, if you want broadband everywhere (ie outside towns with a population of say 10k) the Government will have to subsidise it. If you want to live in Belmullet fine, but don't expect a dual carriageway to your door cause the demand aint there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

What about wireless solutions for those pl in places like Belmullet....ie. me?? I am to be moving out to college by this September and so isdn is not viable, adsl might be usefull in the city, but won't come to Galway for ages <like everything else> and so wireless is the only truely possible sollution. The mobile masts that are already in place could be upgraded or used as bases for the new technology.........but no-one will see this great opportuinity and Eircon will concentrate on pressing aDSL cos it wants us to watch telly over our phonelines even though the medium is totally unsutiable for hi-res video....etc. i could go on but won't
    SyxPak, Galway <ffs just look left>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Then of couse there is the option of using our power lines to transmit data in large quantities.....yes that's right, ESB power cables. They carry 220v R.M.S., right?? Phone cables use 75volts. AND the ESB has laid down miles of fibre optics and other cabling already. it doesn't take much imagination to think of a way to make this work, does it?? Christ, other countries have trialled it already. The CIA, NSA, and other American and British governments computers are fitted with 'modified' power supplies to suppress and remove the data being unknowingly sent down the lines. Hard drive platters that have been crunched up can still be read and data extracted from them also, but that's a topic for a different group......
    SyxPak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

That link wont load for me. Whats up with it? Should i be getting rather excited?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

The power line system was trialled in the north of england somewhere, but it fell over horribly - the bandwidth was fine usually, but it screwed up highpowered equipment on the same power lines; knackered streetlights and the likes totally. Trials were stopped and the technology all but abandoned, although some labs are still trying to get it working on lower power carrier channels.

what i was driving at was that someone put forward that fiber optic cables or standard phone cables could be laid along side the train tracks thus having to deal with only one person so to speak the train company as they own the land around the line rather than having to go through the crap of dealing with each county council and all the headaches involved in creating a completely new telephone infrastructure more in tune with modern needs.Instead of shoring up and antiquated system.

Stone biggrin.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Leverz

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shinji:
    - the bandwidth was fine usually, but it screwed up highpowered equipment on the same power lines; knackered streetlights and the likes totally. Trials were stopped and the technology all but abandoned, although some labs are still .......</font>

You are right to an extent there Shinji, but afaik it was the fact that streetlights and other equipment caused interference with the data signals causing it to degrade that slowed down the development. They are still working on it, but not to the extent that they where previously.

Those intrested check out http://www.dmagazine.com/magazine/bdfeature

[This message has been edited by Leverz (edited 21-02-2001).]

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Jesus don't think esat ADSL will be out any time soon, there more of a chance of Eircom rolling it out before them. As the letter said
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">By completing this form you have not applied for the ADSL service, you
    have merely registered you interest in receiving further information
    on the ADSL service</font>
    All their doing is taking names, most companies do that for market research to see if it's viable to go ahead with the project, doesn't mean they've any intentions of doing it soon. It's also possible in Esats case that they might use these names to push the Gov. and the ODTR to do something about Eircum's local loop access charges.

[This message has been edited by Blade (edited 21-02-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Leverz

Well then Blade, I hope you signed up, and everyone else should do as well, I know I did, get the numbers up. (Starts using all the other e-mail addies)

Still prolly only market research, we can hope for more though.

Ive signed up even though i dont beleive for one minute this service will be up and running before the year 2010 frown.gif

Stone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Im going signing up, but we've all heard these glorified reports before... Just think of Eircom.

--Chris--

Visit [URL=http://uie.8m.com

THE]http://uie.8m.com[/URL}

THE source for Internet news in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

uh huh dave, and it would only cost you about £130 per month for SDSL @ 512K....

Cop on smile.gif

Moriarty
    moriarty@gamersfm.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Son of Blam

Eircom are abandoning the "video on demand" (ie TV through your phone line) because:

a) They couldn't get a TV broadcasting licence
    b) It didn't really work too well

-Son of Blam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Skeptic1

An decision is still due from the ODTR on the subject of TV being broadcast down the telephone line. It is being disputed by NTL as they claim to have exclusive rights to broadcast "over similar networks".

I think Eircom or whatever telco should be allowed to broadcast video over the phone lines. There needs to be a bit of competition injected into the Irish cable market.

It should be possible to broadcast a relativly low quality signal over DSL lines with suitable compression provided proximity to the exchange. Not DVD quality, obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

yip- eircom are suspending their video on demand and broadcasting trials over adsl. Most of the suits from the consultancy firm were sent back to the office. Eircom were not going to wait for an odtr decision on these services so the project plans were curtailed to just include the internet access portion. You may see internet acess using adsl available in some exchanges in May or so..

Advertisement