Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Living in Dún Laoghaire/Rathdown? No waste charges for you me lad......

• 05-03-2002 4:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

It was revealed yesterday, that the waste charges applied by Dún Laoghaire/Rathdown CoCo are unenforcable.

The charges which were put in place required people in the area to purchase 'tags' which must then be attached to your wheelie bin, and then your rubbish would be collected. The point was to urge people to place more of their rubbish in recycling, which was collected free of charge, and revenues from the tags would be used to pay for the recycling.

However, it emerged that the Waste Management Bill of 1996 requires your local County Council to collect your waste, at an arranged time/place yada yada yada...... So, from this, bins that are put out, that do not have a tag attached, must still be collected by the County Council, and they can take no action for households that do not attach a pre pay tag.

I heard a spokesman for the DL/R CC yesterday say something like: "This initiative was put in place after suggestions from the people of DL/R. Though we cannot force people to, we would urge the people who brought forth these suggestions, and indeed anyone who cares about recycling to buy and attach the pre pay tags".

:rolleyes: Another thing ****ed up by our current administration. The Greens are getting my vote in May. :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

The Germans have in interesting system where business is required to pay for the recycling of household packaging and the company that actually does the recycling is semi-state (I think), therefore it can operate to make a profit, while being legislatively obliged to have customers.

http://www.gruener-punkt.de/en/frames.php3?choice1=ds

True enough if the government are attempting to get recycling going in a serious way perhaps a duales system would work for Ireland too, though possibly as a semi-state(state owned) public service so that we might avoid having to do busniess with a monopoly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭Aspro

The new site for the Campaign Against Service Charges is up now:
    www.stopthebintax.com

This tax isn't about waste management or recycling. It's about the planned privatisation of the service.

Another Fianna Fail con-trick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,521 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If it's not a Green issue, but a tax (i.e. political) one, why post on the Green forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭Aspro

Because it's relevant to the forum title -
    and it's being touted as a "green" tax
    - "polluter pays" and all that bóllocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Living in the country my family have been paying bin charges for years. Just get over it!

I think it's a great idea to actually treat people equally.

I'm all in favour for the recyling and the tag funding it.

<< Fio >>

• Advertisement
Advertisement