Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soundblaster Live 1024

• 27-02-2001 11:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭

Quick Question.

The cable that comes with this soundcard, you know the one that connects your CD-ROM to the soundcard itself. Well this one has a third connector branching out of one end and I have no idea where it should go. My soundcard is working fine and I can get sound from audio CD's so...does anyone know what it does or where it goes.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I know when I replaced my existing sound card with the Live!1024, I just continued using the cable that was already on my CD-ROM drive, but as far as I remember, the split cable just allows you to to connect two CD-ROM drives to the input on the card instead of just the one.

If so, and if you intend to do so, be warned that this can reduce sound quality somewhat.

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 27-02-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

Wow quick reply Bard, thanks. That sounds about right but the connection looks different to the connector used to the CD-ROM. As long as it works I'm happy, it's just one of those niggly little things that you try to ignore but can't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Oh there's a digital audio cable with the SBLive card as well, which I believe is split into two. Not all CD-ROM's have a digital audio connection - most just have analog. ...could be it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Some soundcards/cd-rom drives have different shaped connectors that do the same thing. It's just to insure that it'll connect to pretty much any combo. I've got one with 4 connectors on one end.

Besides if you enable digital audio extraction you don't need a cable anyway.

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!
    art is everything and of course nothing and possibly also a sausage

Advertisement