Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do many boards ppl have modded ps2's?

Options
  • 05-03-2002 5:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

(ducks)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Originally posted by Gunn4r
    (ducks)
    I downloaded a ps2 boot disk to play those kind of games with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

i dont have one and i dont think i will get mine done either. i had my ps1 chipped and it was great having cheap games but sony are bringing out alot of anti piracy software for the ps2. games (and even official ps2 magazine demo disks) will be able to detect if you've altered your machine and will just not work if its altered in any way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Er, not sure about that one Phreak - where did you read it?

I have a Japanese machine modded with Origa to play US and UK discs. It's bloody handy for bringing the machine to conventions and the likes, as it plays all my games as opposed to having to lug three PS2s (I also have US and UK models) along.

There's a TestStation for beta discs as well of course, but that's a different issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Khynareth

Yeah, but a test station is about £1000 (Or was the last time I had one in my hands). They are really handy though, real cool little toys...
    Although I am not sure how to (Legally) get one. We had one for 'training purposes' just before the launch, but it's the only one I ever saw.

Unless you're allocated one by Sony, you can't get one. And they're REALLY tight with them - it took ages for me to get one off them, and even at that they asked us to pay for it. The gits :)

• Advertisement

Shinji where could i get a mod chip and how would i fit it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

Shinji, I PM'ed you this question cos I am curious.....how come the 3 ps2's and conventions etc. You in the games biz?

With regard to chipping consoles the only person I know at the mo is www.dvdireland.com who is doing a neo4 for 200 Euro (fitted), Gamezone (www.gamezone.ie) were doing this for the same price but have no more chips. Defo not one for the faint hearted as its a bastard job but once its working its sweet ? ;-)

Also I know nothing about the protection phreak mentions....

right, seeing as im not a walking bank, i'll just have to wait for games to come out over here. *sigh* So much for importing FFX, guess ill get it in summer or whenever >:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

So has anyont mod chiped a PS2 and had any problems.

Cause its great to get games from japan and america well before we get them as they leave Eurpoe till last

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭babyhack

[warezmonkey, ho hum]

• Advertisement

Games for $2? That doesnt sound legal.

Anyway i just saw that liksang have mod ships for 20 Euro (approx.) and you dont have to solder or anything. It has a step-by-step guide on how to do it and it looks fool proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭babyhack

y the edit :(

Take a wild fucking guess. Go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Originally posted by babyhack
    y the edit :(
    Read the announcement

Warez is illegal, and according to the rules you don't post anything illegal. It's that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Haven't really bothered keeping up to date with chips and whatnot, i leave that to a friend of mine who order us the latest origa (10000 series jap model, yeay)

But i did hear rumours of a ps2 boot disk, once again rumours.
    Apart from that, i wouldn't go with gamezone, thats shockingly expensive and its not "that" hard a job to do. A friend doing electronics looked at the schematics for the messiah and said it would take a bit of time, a few hours but was far from hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Odian

warez is illegal, and according to the rules you don't post anything illegal. It's that simple.

Thats bloody stupid.Dont just jump on your high horse here.You should try to actully read the entire thread before you post
    Under new laws passed this week, the Copyright Amendment (Digital Agenda) Bill makes it illegal to manufacture, sell or commercially deal with "electronic circumvention devices" that override copyright protection technology. That means it's now illegal for someone to "chip" your videogame console. The legislation states, however, that it's not illegal to use these devices, so existing owners needn't worry about trouble from the authorities.While this move is aimed squarely at software pirates, it inadvertently affects those who use chips to play imported videogames, as well as those who legitimately back up their original software. Dreamcast owners in particular are in an uproar, since flagging software support from Australian distributors has driven them to buy software from overseas

Dont get me wrong here not arguing with mods decision,just seems kinda hypocritical of wot some people are saying

so chipping aint illegal,ya it is but this thread is still goin:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by Odian

so chipping aint illegal,ya it is but this thread is still goin:confused:

no chipping is illegal.

the thread is not offering any warez or chips, its a discussion and therefore is allowable

or you could just got to http://www.modchip.com/
    and read all about it

Chipping isn't illegal in Ireland.

Nobody has a problem with people buying or playing imported games.

Warez is another matter entirely and Swiss is entirely correct. This thread continues only on the basis that people are discussing legal import games, not illegal warez games.

Of course I'd be only too delighted for folk to post information on where to get warez games - because then I'd just delete it and pass the info on to ELSPA.

I know a couple shinji ;)

P.S. warez sux0rz

Advertisement