Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backround noises heard ---Ding Dong, ring ring etc.

Options
  • 05-03-2002 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭

As a long time listener I have heard doorbells, intercoms, phones ring, text messaging beeps etc on Phantom.

One morning Steve Conway even apologised for the roadworks going on outside as they could be clearly heard during each conversation.

I assume the management know that silent phones which light up are free from Eircom stores as a direct swap for your Eircom phone. I'm sure they could find a way of turning down/off other backround noises so why don't they?

Could they use different Mics or sound-proof the room better?

In my opinion it sounds a bit amateurish when the doorbell rings and interrupts the DJ.

I know others have said that this adds to the live flavour and gives the station a 'pirate' DIY good relaxed feeling. It does make me laugh sometimes especially when they give out the phone number and then the phone rings a second later.

I know cost is a major factor but they could at least get a free phone 'for the blind'

What do others feel about this. Is it good or bad?

Management -Do you care??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Gar_ptc

these are finickity points.nit-picking if you will;i don't like the skipping on the cd's,but the noise in the background when dj's talk?

chill man.....you must do physics..or engineering/computers.
    you must

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Jim Daniels

I remember listening to old Dublin pirates (around 1988) and you could hear busses go past in the backround. I really like it! Its quite endearing actually...like the way some live recordings leave the audience chatter and glasses clinking in the recording. Its real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 lois

soundproofing costs a bomb...if u want a professionall station with buckets of corporate cash to burn listen to fm 104. Im sure they'll make you laugh too with their hilarious jingles and sketches. Top quality stuff....not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 MaryJane

um.............................is this actually important?????

Why waste time talking about noises? Phantom FM plays bloody good music, or haven't you noticed? It's not flippin' RTE and I'm damn glad about that for one.

You don't happen to live in a monastery by any chance???!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭pdebarra

Doesn't matter. It doesn't interrupt the music, which is what the station is all about. It adds to the "flavour" of the station. Phantom doesn't cater for the masses, so it doesn't need to be perfect and bland and so on. If it were, it'd be like 2FM or any of the others. As long as it caters for those (few) who have some taste and appreciate good music, it'll not be able to afford top-notch soundproofing etc.

Basically I feel that background noise (as long as it's not too intrusive) is a small price to pay for a radio station that you can just turn on and leave on - you don't have to turn off every 5 mins cos they're playing Destiny's Child or Robbie again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

This requires a reply from de man pete reed.

Personally, I don't mind the intercom going off mid-link. there's more important things in life. i don't know if a light-up gizmo would always work. You'd have to be looking at it for a start!! unless you think a 10' x 8' pink neon sign on the wall is practical........maybe........I think a light-up gizmo would be a pain - especially if you're the one waiting on the other side of the door and you're bursting for the loo and you're thinking, "hmm I wonder have they noticed the light-up gizmo has lit-up?"...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

um i agree it does sound amateurish but i guess phantom do everything they can (although i still think you haven't gotten a good jingle since the GOT BACK TO FRANCE YE LOUSY FOREIGNER hehe)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭dccarm

I know cost is a major factor but they could at least get a free phone 'for the blind'

Em. Surely a phone for the blind would just be a normal phone? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Tom E Brown

The room is soundproofed. Inside Its got 15 inches of plasterboard with a 3 cavity gap filled with rockwool on the outside, and its skin is a special non reflective dense weave fabric composit.

The noises you can hear are digitaly created with a very expensive signal proccessor. We use it just to get an authentic pirate sound.

it has 3 settings, cab office, busy street and pub after closing...every now and again it even rings the studio phone for that authentic live broadcast feel (although the frequency may be up a bit to high on that setting).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Afternoon all,

Jaysus though....of all the gripes that land in my lap every week!

Personally I like the live sound that the traffic, endless roadworks etc brings. I think it gives a much more natural feel to the station. Less sterile maybe.

We could get one of those "phones for the blind" (sold in the same shop as buckets of striped paint and chocolate teapots), but we would still have all the other external noises. Theres a lot of stuff we would love to, and plan to do in Phantoms studios (and Phundraiser on March 24th will help with this!) but stifling the natural ambience isnt one of them.

Thanks for your input anyway,

Regards,

Pete Reed
    Phantom FM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭mixer007

I think it ads to the beauty of this great station.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Sinister Pete

This one goes to eleven...

Advertisement