Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is this

• 17-02-2001 5:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭

Sometimes when i restart my pc after it crashes a black screen comes up except for a message containing the following words.

100k/124k
    and i cant remember the rest. What is the 100k/124k thingy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I'd assume that "100k/124k" refers to memory of some sort smile.gif - but it's impossible to give any kind of diagnosis based on what you've discribed above. (Which is probably why no one's replied yet)

Write down the full error message (good old pen & paper), and give us more info on when exactly it happens (ie. before windowze logo, after POST, during POST etc)
    And anything that may have caused it... new hardware, other possibly related funk ups.

My PC is broken - what do I do?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Maybe you owe like 124 grand and your computer is ****ing itself incase you need to sell it to pay back the money ??

Nil Desperandum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

first of all check your main memory is seated properly.

does this come up before the usual memory checks on the startup screen?
    if so it could very well be a graphics card problem or something.. as thats usually the first thing that is checked on bootup.
    if its possible try flashing it with an updated image.

[This message has been edited by Kali (edited 18-02-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

I remember now
    100k/124k
    Out of Range

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

I don't know if this will solve your problem, but it won't cause any further damage...

I am thinking your startup files are trying to load something in to DOS memory, but there isn't enough environment space to handle it. So..

Open up a DOS box
    - Click Start/Run
    - Type "command" and Click OK

Then @ the command prompt
    - Type "cd\" and press Enter
    - Type "edit config.sys"
    - @ the end of the file Type the following:

"c:\windows\command /e:1024"

Close the editor and save the file.
    Restart your machine and see if you notice anthing wrong.

When the Starting Windows 95/98 screen comes up, you can press Esc, to get rid of it so you can see what your DOS startup files are doing

Anyway I'm going to shut up now!
    Gd'luck ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭PJ Hunt

I've seen this with some voodoo 2 and ATI rage cards, especially on 800x600 res
    the fix I've found is to deselect "Automatically detect plug and play monitors" in Display properties...

Hope that helps

Regards

‡PJ‡

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

it could be that thats all the memory which dos thinks u hav, in this case don't worrie about it, its part of the all knowing microsoft philosophy of havin all things backward compatable (pointless waste of time if u ask me!) wink.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

it's the graphics, or namely your resolution, now if it comes on eventually, then your monitor can just about display that res, and you should lower it to ensure no further problems. However if it doesn't come on at all you can boot up in safe mode and it will allow you to lower it then and all should be well.

and maybe pjs will work

Advertisement