Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

deleting partitions

• 06-03-2002 10:34am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I just bought a second hand hard drive for 15 euro which was partioned into 3 separtate drives namely d,f,g.
    How do I delete these partitions and end up with 1 drive?
    any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

easiest and best way is to use fdisk. connect it all up and then restart in dos and type fdisk, and then delete them all simple.

and €15 euro ya bastard! how big is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Xterminator

You need to use the fdisk program.
    A windows boot disk of 95 or 98 variety, will bring you to a dos prompr, where you can type 'fdisk' to repartition.

Or if you have a win2000 cd you can boot from that, and go as far as the partitioning section before exiting, (or continuing).

You need to delete the existing partitions, then create a primary dos partition, and say yes to using all available space, to have 1 big partition instead.

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

use something like partition magic and u dont loose any data or have to format or any lark like that

i often created/merged/moved partitions with it - no problems :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,529 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Actually, if it's a second hard drive, and you're using it in the same machine as the original hard drive, and you have an NT based OS (NT/2K/XP) the easiest thing to do is use the disk administrator.

Using the disk admin tool, you can also prepare the the new drive as NTFS (more security) and include compression.

In NT:
    [Start]\Programs\Administrative Tools\Disk Administrator

in 2K (and I think XP):
    [Start]\Programs\Administrative Tools\Computer Management\Storage\Disk Management

Hope this helps...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Thanks for the help.The drive is only a 10 gig but its all I need.I just wanted it to install all my games etc. on.I got it in a company called electronic recycling.I found them by mistake.They are in Finglas on dublin.They buy up all the end of range stuff from the likes of Dell,etc and sell it on at dirt cheap prices.

• Advertisement
Advertisement