Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion Poll [Who voted]

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭flyz

Originally posted by Biffa Bacon

Yes, although people should note that whether this referendum is passed or not rape and incest will still not be grounds for an abortion either way.

No one would be denied treatment or prosecuted in such a situation. That proviso was put in so that there wouldn't be phoney doctors saying "Oh yes, her life is in danger, she'll have to have an abortion".

Rape and incest are at the moment grounds for an abortion if there is a risk of suicide. That's what the x-case was about wasn't it?

What the government are proposing is that only certain hospitials will be allowed to perform abortions in order to save the mothers life.
    If that leglislation is taken seriously then it will result in denial of treatment and possibly the death of both the mother and the baby if they turn up at the wrong hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Originally posted by flyz
    Rape and incest are at the moment grounds for an abortion if there is a risk of suicide.
    Rape and incest are not grounds for an abortion. The threat of suicide is grounds for an abortion, no matter what the source of the pregnancy is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Women will be able to go to England to get an abortion regardless of the outcome of this referendum. Abortion (as is practised in the UK) will still be illegal in Ireland regardless of the outcome of this referendum.

Yes but they shouldn't have to and a yes vote will make this much harder to achieve in the future. We've been standing on our own two feet for nearly a hundred years now. Isn't it time we started to take ownership of some of our problems rather than exporting them pretending they dont exist.

No, it isn't lovely obviously... but where is rape mentioned in this proposed amendment? Voting No will mean no change to the constitution. There is no way you can vote today which will allow abortion for those who have been raped.

It isn't mentioned in the referendum, but again a yes in the referendum will make amendments to the constitution which will make legal abortion for rape victims even harder to achieve in the future.

Biffa,

This is exactly the churches angle on this and they influence a hell of a lot of people. As long as the abortions aren't conducted in Ireland, the church can go on pretending that it's not happening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Biffa Bacon

Biffa,

This is exactly the churches angle on this and they influence a hell of a lot of people. As long as the abortions aren't conducted in Ireland, the church can go on pretending that it's not happening
    There is not a single human being in Ireland that pretends it isn't happening. Not one. And I don't understand your problem with the church influencing people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Biffa Bacon

There is not a single human being in Ireland that pretends it isn't happening. Not one.

I don't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Biffa

The church has been pretending it isn't happening for the last fifty years. As long as it's not happening in Ireland they can ignore it and that suits them just fine. And yes I do have a problem with the church influencing people. They also told us contraception was a bad and evil thing and their opinion of sex wasn't much better. Then everyone woke up and realised the crap the church had inflicted on their parents and told the church to sod off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

I voted no. My reasons were:
    • I am pro-choice and I do not believe that the debate should ever be considered closed
    • The subtext of the amendment and law is one of reactionism against the reality of increased pluralism in Irish society and it contradicts the central tenets of liberal democracy
    • It is repugnant to the Constitution on the grounds that it removes the right of the President to refer the law & amendment to the Supreme Court (to examine whether a law or amendment is 'repugnant to the Constitution' or not) - this is a vital failsave against bad legislation, which this is
    • It is repugnant to the constitution because it defies the article which states that the Oireachtas is the only body allowed to make laws for the state
    • It breaks with the spirit and direction of the Constitution as a dynamic document which changes to meet the needs and wants of society in accordance with the law. It essentially stonewalls any further debate on the problem of abortion (one which will always require constant redefinition). I believe legislation is sufficient to deal with the issue of abortion as far as the state is concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Originally posted by Bard

It's my absolute right to believe what I believe is right or wrong. Screw compassion - suicide is wrong, - it's selfish, it's cowardly and it's a pathetic way to end a life. Sensitive issue or not, it's better to be cold and clinical with hard facts instead of fudging or fluffying them up for fear of hurting people's feelings. If you're suicidal then get help to get you out of that way of thinking. Claiming to be suicidal is a piss-poor reason for taking the life of an unborn child.

I agree that suicide is a stupid way to end a life, most people who commit suicide nowadays commit suicide for the wrong reasons. There seems to be a high incedence of work and school related stress that leads to suicide, and there are there are alot of "poor me, give me attention" suicides; But I do believe that someone can be so depressed, so traumatised, that they can't face everyday life anymore. Rape can bring someone to the edge, and can make people very depressed, nearly to the brink of suicide, and the prospect of having a child, and bear in mind that these girls are usually only around 14 years old, could easily lead to them wanting to commit suicide; as these girls cannot face the stress of having this child and raising it; and I strongly believe that if a girl was suicidal, she could be assessed by a psychologist to see if the threat of suicide is genuine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

It's my absolute right to believe what I believe is right or wrong. Screw compassion - suicide is wrong, - it's selfish, it's cowardly and it's a pathetic way to end a life. Sensitive issue or not, it's better to be cold and clinical with hard facts instead of fudging or fluffying them up for fear of hurting people's feelings. If you're suicidal then get help to get you out of that way of thinking. Claiming to be suicidal is a piss-poor reason for taking the life of an unborn child.
    Maybe this general kind of attitude that seems embedded in Irish culture is contributive to the rise in suicide?

Either way, you totally oversee the fact that many if not most people who commit suicide are clinically depressed - and I don't mean they're upset because of some life experience and are on low strength anti-depressants, I mean serious clinical depression - for anyone who has been seriously depressed and has tried to describe it (I suggest you read what Spike Milligan has written), they mention suicide as a constantly recurring thought. The threat of living is worse than the threat of death. It's wrong for you to just sweep it away and say they should just "get help" - that's the last thing anyone should think. That's just based on what I have come across as sound psychological fact.

With that in mind, I think abortion is (though rarely and certainly not always) a certain cure for suicidal depression but I would like to see a law that prevents abortion from occurring after the first trimester (I think that's then the brain stem is largely formed and si thought of as necessary for consciousness). We're talking practical strategies to save as many lives as possible and surely this can be seen as one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i voted No today. i really cannot see the point of this referendum. all they are doing IMO is trying to take a step back. the way it is at the moment is fine with me. i think the referendum should have been for legal abortions in any clinic/hospital in this country. abortions are going to happen anyway, thousands go across the pond every year to have it done

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

How can any of you comment on suicide if you have never been there.
    screw you Bard you have no idea what your ranting on about!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I voted "no" for a number of reasons.

But irrespective of my views (which have been made clear on numerous occasions on the boards and I'll not go over them again), I voted no because this legislation is VERY badly written. I would rather see nothing passed than badly written legislation which may indeed be repugnant to the constitution.

Also, I find the manner in which the government dealt with this issue very cynical anmd condescending to the people of this Island. Bertie and Co. refused to show leadership for this country when they were asked for it and instead fobbed off the public.

As for Bard's comments on suicide. Whilst he's entitled to his opinion, and I'll not try and change his mind, I will say this:
    quoting Bard
    Screw compassion - suicide is wrong, - it's selfish, it's cowardly and it's a pathetic way to end a life.

I could say the EXACT same thing about rape/incest. And lets make no mistake about it - you ARE destroying somebody's life when you commit such a heinous act.

I believe the reasoning behind this referendum is to clear the churches concious. They wont be happy until they can do the fast show sketch "What, Abortion, IN IRELAND, not with our reputation". Yeah reputation for being w/-\nkers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Originally posted by Occidental
    If you vote yes we can go on pretending we don't have a problem and pretend we're still an adorable little Catholic country.

God less with the same old tired Home Rule is Rome Rule mantra, some, most people could care less what the Catholic Church and it's pope thinks, really if you can't find a better reason than anti-Catholicism to exponenciate your view, then maybe those views don't have much merit beyond ati-Catholicism.

oh my gawd...... the papists are massing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Yurmasyurda

I didn't vote mainly because I don't care, I know a lot of people would probably be angered by this but hey that's why you can vote ;)

PS. If the referendum was about wether we could get tax free wages forever then I'd vote, it isn't really selfishness as such it's just the way I don't feel!

Originally posted by chernobyl
    How can any of you comment on suicide if you have never been there.
    screw you Bard you have no idea what your ranting on about!

"Chernobyl",

You haven't a clue what I have or haven't got any idea about. You know little or nothing about me.

As I said earlier, my opinions are based on personal experiences and relationships. I HAVE been there ... I DO know what it's like ... and I feel I am perfectly free and qualified to comment on the matter ... so you, dear chernobyl, can feel free to stick your know-it-all attitude up your arse.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Everyone is not entitled, however, to ram their opinion down someone elses throat or to openly belittle someone elses opinion simply because they disagree with them.

I DO know what it's like ... and I feel I am perfectly free and qualified to comment on the matter ...

I doubt it, just because you went through a crappy period in your life where you contemplated suicide doesnt mean your qualified.

you dont know about suicide, you just think you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Yurmasyurda

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Everyone is not entitled, however, to ram their opinion down someone elses throat or to openly belittle someone elses opinion simply because they disagree with them.

I couldn't have said it better, I've had debates about this kind of thing. One example... I don't believe in god and I would certainly not go out tomorrow and tell people they should believe, this quote should go without saying!

I doubt it, just because you went through a crappy period in your life where you contemplated suicide doesnt mean your qualified.

you dont know about suicide, you just think you do.

You really have no idea what I went through or who I went through it with, so don't try to imagine you do, ok? Let me just say that you couldn't be further from the truth. I've experienced far more than you'd believe.

As the memories are quite painful ones, I'm not about to go explaining it to you here, so kindly let it go.

no, because your side line commentary is bs.

• Advertisement

no, because your side line commentary is bs.

I know what I know- I believe what I believe. And I couldn't care less whether you believe me or not or whether you believe I am qualified to comment or not.

I know I am... and I'm entitled to my say.

You can stick your attitude where the sun don't shine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Well I see all the usual moral suspects are here...

I'm getting really sick of this, it just seems over and over I see the same people sanctimoniously moralising for the rest of us and it seems to me to be more like Catholic Church programming than really clear thought.

Look the reality is that we DO have abortion on demand in (or very damn close to) Ireland. For less than the train fare from Dublin to Cork we can fly to London, Liverpool or Glasgow and in less time too. And nothing can really stop people doing this for an abortion.

I may have voted no to this but it doesn't mean I think abortion is a good thing. Maybe one day we will stop pretending that our high moral stance makes the slightest bit of difference and actually try and help these girls in their own country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Biffa Bacon

Originally posted by meglome
    Well I see all the usual moral suspects are here...

I'm getting really sick of this, it just seems over and over I see the same people sanctimoniously moralising for the rest of us and it seems to me to be more like Catholic Church programming than really clear thought.

Look the reality is that we DO have abortion on demand in (or very damn close to) Ireland. For less than the train fare from Dublin to Cork we can fly to London, Liverpool or Glasgow and in less time too. And nothing can really stop people doing this for an abortion.

I may have voted no to this but it doesn't mean I think abortion is a good thing. Maybe one day we will stop pretending that our high moral stance makes the slightest bit of difference and actually try and help these girls in their own country.
    Absolutely moronic argument.

[Biffa make more of an effort please than a 3 word response. I have now closed this thread because it is degenerating into a little insult fest - any problems with that PM me - Gandalf]

It's a well and good posting "A Moronic argument"
    But Why is it? Anyone can say that, about anything.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement