Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free 9.6k internet access?

Options
  • 06-03-2002 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

I know it's a bit pathetic, but still... Just having a thought here...

With ISDN, the traffic on the D channel is not billed, and some telco's let the users use them for data traffic. I believe you can use 9.6k of the D channel bandwidth (which is 16k) for X.25 networking and be online all the time, for free. Well, apart from the fact that you're paying an outrageous sum for ISDN line rental :)

I know 9.6k isn't much, but you'd have a 24h internet access, and still be able to use the 64k B-channels for faster downloads.

I wonder if anyone tried this out in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

They do it in germany i'm informed, but for about 5-10DM a month/quarter or something.
    Still, twould be handy for overnight downloads of small files, IRC and email.
    Browsing would be a bastid though.
    If it was provided it might blance the outrageous cost of ISDN as it stands, even if not by more then a few pebbles to ericom's boulder

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

http://www.irelandoffline.org/wiki/index.php?AlwaysOnDynamicIsdn

/adam waits for Fergus to come out of the woodwork...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

sounds interesting ?
    is it old news or something ?
    do eircon charge for this D channel access ? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

What can we say. eircom have been trailling this (AODI) in the Ennis thing for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

i taught they were bringing it in last september ? thats the last i heard of it.... didnt really look into it as i had 56k then, but now i have isdn, i'd be interested to hear more

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 dpajur

What about Dublin and what other ISPs ?
    Anyone know anything about this? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

ohh ffs eircon are trialing it :rolleyes:
    its 9.6k a sec
    its not like it will cripple the system :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Doctúir

It would really come into its own if used with a unidirectional internet-via-satellite service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I doubt very much it would be free if Eircom decided to offer it. You would have to compensate them for the loss of revenue on metered dial-up and ISDN.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

I agree wit STRATEGIST

F F S

now the rant...and bad language..be prepared....

this is ****ing saaaaddddd.......

WE ****ING WANT BROADBAND for christ sake at a price we can afford.

they are trialing it...its 9.6 K FFS!!

do you not see what is now open --

they, my friends, do not give a fiddlers flying **** about internet access in ireland.

• Advertisement
Advertisement