Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virus Warnings

Options
  • 06-03-2002 2:54pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Following Feargal's idea - do you want to receive virus warnings on the Open list?

In keeping with tradition, Atari Jaguar is on the list :)

Receive the virus warnings? 22 votes

Yes please
    0% 0 votes
    No thanks
    54% 12 votes
    Don't mind either way / Atari Jaguar
    45% 10 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

your not allowed to post here!! no one is!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭topgold

I feel like a hypocrite, because I normally trash all virus warnings. But I actually need timely warnings of medium-high virus attacks from Ross Cooney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

If people want to debate this issue, they should do so via the Open Working Group list - that's what it's for. If you wish to subscribe to it you may at:

http://www.webnet.ie/open/

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I agree with The Corinthian.

FWIW, I wouldn't want to get virus warnings on the open list, but then I unsubscribed from it because of all the noise, so I don't really get a say in the matter :)

If people wish to post virus warnings on boards.ie, then they are permitted on the security board here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Personally I finf virus warnings from somebody in the know useful.
    I don't have time to go checking on any bulletin board just on the off-chance that there is a new virus around.

The OPEN list subject headers always get my attention. If the topic doesn't interest me I delete them. Simple. If it interests me I read it, if I can contribute I do.

I would understand if the email had been blatant advertising, but it wasn't, so I can't understand why some people have taken so much offense.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

There is practically always a new virus around. If you're relying on virus checkers, then keep them updated.

Or, better, don't rely on virus checkers, and keep them updated anyway (daily seems to be the required interval for getting new signatures these days).

If you want virus notifications, then I'd say you're better off subscribing to a virus alert list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

The only way to attempt to stay virus free is to do what I have done for the pathetically open nt network in work.
    Configure a server to get virus updates everyday and force those updates onto every system on it's network, or just do yourself a big favor use linux.
    /evangalism ends\.
    or something

Advertisement