Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philosophy at CTYI this summer. Course description.

Options
  • 06-03-2002 4:29pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭

I thought this might be of some interest to some of ye.
    It's the course description that was ommitted from the brouchure.
    Please pass it along to anyone who might want it...

================================================

Philosophy

Available: Session 2 Only
    Code: PHILJUL

Philosophy is possibly the most fundamental of subjects as it asks the
    question `What does it mean to be?' The aim of this course is to
    enable students to acquire the basic skills of philosophy i.e. analytic
    argument and essay writing. The course will cover some of the
    fundamental concerns of philosophy such as:

· The History of Philosophy
    · Metaphysics, Science and Technology
    · Logic
    · Ethics and Political Theory
    · Critical Theory and the Philosophy of Literature

Over the course students will be introduced to the Presocratic and Greek
    philosophers, the enlightenment philosophers from Descartes to Kant and
    the more recent philosophy of the concept of Mind Phenomenology and
    Existentialism. In short the course seeks to teach `The Art of
    Thinking'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Focalbhach

Can anyone who's done that course tell me what it's like whenever you're actually doing it? I'd be interested in it (how come it wasn't in the brochure?) .....so far I'm Pschology #1 and classics #2

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

it was just an ommission that's all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

i wanted to do philosophy. since it's my favourite thing. ever.

but noooooooooooooo it wasn't on offer except in 99 AND THAT'S WHEN I DID CREATIVE WRITING WHICH IS MY DAMN CALLING! ARGH! I hate you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Focalbhach

I apologise Sven.For everything.On behalf of everybody. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Hey, you can't apologise on my behalf. Sven, i apologise for nothing!!

• Advertisement

and that is why you will die with knifey death!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Oh, iv'e known that for years.

and its called getting stapped sven :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭qwidgybo

i will not be apologising OR dying a knifey death OR being staPPed.

sO goOD daY To yOu alL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

I know nothing about the particular course but the course appears to be very broad, covering the most important early philosophers right up to Kant. What impresses me most about the course subject listing is that Critical Theory and phenomenology is part of the course - these are the two most influential schools of thought in the past 80 years and are really, really interesting and exciting.

I study philosophy at degree level - one thing I have to stress for those wanting to do it is that philosophy isn't about 'creative writing' - it's about learning to think rationally, analytically and clearly. Philosophy essays are often times very dry and need to be strongly structured except those relating to various post-modern, phenomenological thinkers and critical theorists.

Anyway, philosophy is an amazing subject. It doesn't just address questions like 'what it means to be', it askes questions about meaning, language, the structure of reality, the structure of structure, politics, mass media and globalisation, perception, how we communicate, how we can know things for certain, how science relates to reality.

For anyone interested in stuff like this, I urge you all to do that philosophy course.

Where exactly is this run from? Who is teaching it etc? Is there a website I can look at about the course?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

The course is a 3 week summer course offered at CTYI during the summer, unfortunatly only for 12-16 year olds (i'm 17 - damn!) who've passed the SAT test (see the What is CTYI thread)

<< Fio >>

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

This sounds stupid, but what is Globalisation? Because I read bits from a book all about the evils of globalisation but they never explained what globalisation WAS! Not once!

damn stupid author book people

Globalisation is the way that modern communications have cut down information barriers in the modern world and hence allowed companies to locate in many countries - hence not being answerable to anyone. It is wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

It's not that simple. Globalisation is seen as 'de-territorialisation' - nations aren't fixed to homelands anymore, commerce isn't local, politics isn't international, it's supranational, Western culture is total, money is stored in hard drives not just in one place but in every place and no place in a network of banks across the world etc etc.

Technology is predominantly responsible for this but so, too, is colonialism, liberalism and commerce.

Where it's going to lead, we can't say but we can say EVERYTHING is changing. All aspects of life are profoundly shifting.

I know this is pretty self-congratulatory of me but I wrote an essay (for college) on globalisation and nationalism so any of you interested, click here.

yes. true.

but my explanation was shorter, simpler and easier to type.

so there. ;p

Advertisement