Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest possible 56k dialup

Options
  • 06-03-2002 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Ok i just got my phone bill and frankly its massive. I just want to know what is the cheapest 56k dialup in the 01 area.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

You may have done this already but if you haven't then do:

If you are using Eircom then nominate the number of your ISP as one of your 5 circle of friends numbers. It'll give you a 10% discount on every call.

If you find that you spend a lot of time downloading rather than surfing the web then update the firmware\drivers on your modem as this may give you better download speeds.

If your ISP has too many clients then you may be better off changing to another one as connection speeds, reliability of connection and download speeds will improve.
    connect to your ISP and use FTP to download a large file from your ISPs server e.g. ftp.indigo.ie - take a note of the download speed as this will give you a good indication of how fast your current ISP is.

Shorten the cable between your PC and your phone socket, you'll get fewer disconnects and faster transfer speed hopefully.

If you are using a softmodem then consider buying a hardware modem as they are generally quicker and make sure it is V.92 compliant as V. 92 will eventually be rolled out.

Only other solution is to surf in work or get someone else to pay your telephone bill for you.

Look at applications like teleport pro if you want to view simple text heavy websites offline. You'll use this application rarely but every now and then you'll find a site to which it is ideally suited.

Increase the size of your temporary internet folder - this will often save you having to go online to find something you viewed a couple of weeks ago.

Always use advanced searches in Google to find what you want quicker - general principle is get in and get out as quickly as you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Mr .Bungle

Cheers mailman, but i was more looking for cheap dialup offers.
    I heard NTL have a flatrate weekend offer and some chaps called Connectireland are fairly cheap as well but i could use some more info plz

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

There's a thread about NTL here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43115

Esat/IOL costs 1c/minute off peak for internet access but you have to use Esat as your phone provider to get the rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Originally posted by Mr .Bungle
    Cheers mailman, but i was more looking for cheap dialup offers.
    I heard NTL have a flatrate weekend offer and some chaps called Connectireland are fairly cheap as well but i could use some more info plz

To get the 48hr ntl weekend offer, u need to sign up to ntl's phone service as well
    i think u still pay by the min with connect ireland.
    ie....we're robbed in this country for 56k access !
    or just do what i do, dont use the net at home, use it at work !

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭tmcd

we're robbed in this country for 56k access !
    Aint that the truth!!!
    I used to pay 12pence for 4 hours on the net In Australia.
    If you do use the net alot at home you could connect with indigo go live. pay £10 per month and then your calls are charged 1.2p peak and .7p off peak
    Apart from that I think mailman is on the ball as to clever surfin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i cant believe there are still people using 56k modem connections.
    its really embarerressing.

for the cost of a measly 40 quid, thats 64 of your funny €'s, you can get adsl, or for 20 quid you can get cable.
    if you are really poor, you can get unlimited access for your <supress laughter> 56k dial up conenction for 12 quid a month.

you know, those boys in the telecoms industry must be laughing all the way to the bank.........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭pete

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    i cant believe there are still people using 56k modem connections.
    its really embarerressing.

for the cost of a measly 40 quid, thats 64 of your funny €'s, you can get adsl, or for 20 quid you can get cable.
    if you are really poor, you can get unlimited access for your <supress laughter> 56k dial up conenction for 12 quid a month.

you know, those boys in the telecoms industry must be laughing all the way to the bank.........

That's a really, really helpful post. No, really.

Too bad most people posting here don't live in bloody surrey, isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

notice the MASSIVE RED STAR , ie sarcasm device, as WWMans sig pete

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭pete

Originally posted by Gone Shootin
    notice the MASSIVE RED STAR , ie sarcasm device, as WWMans sig pete

Well Gone Shootin , would that be the same MASSIVE RED STAR that appears under all of his posts? Are they ALL sarcasm?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

they sure are all sarcasim!

• Advertisement
Advertisement