Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government to invest €60m in broadband plan

Options
  • 07-03-2002 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭skrobe

What about Dublin???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Oh great just what we need from the Teflon Taoiseach, yet more fragmented broadband that will invariably go to waste and be totally inaccesable to the general public.

Still it's election time, and it pays in votes to be associated with techie things.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

woohoo, another totally "flash in the pan" €60 million broadband plan!

Kudos to the Taoiseach! I wont be voting for you again Bertie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

i find this boring, i mean its just another backbone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

i find this boring, i mean its just another backbone

...possibly but surly it would be better than no broadband at all in 'teh stix' - theres no money to be made in offering wired broadband to a few cattle farmers in the arse end of nowhere.
    Radio/satelite is the only way to go and given radios limited range a backbone close to your particular hole in the ground will at least offer the possibility of broadband in the next 10 years. seriously

• Advertisement

no, thats exactly what it is, a back bone, leased lines should get cheaper, but untill someone actually comes along and releases a residencial broadband product, this wont make a difference to most people

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by Boston
    no, thats exactly what it is, a back bone, leased lines should get cheaper, but untill someone actually comes along and releases a residencial broadband product, this wont make a difference to most people

You're right Boston. It wont make a difference to those that it needs to be aimed at.

We have miles of fibre already, but only a miniscule amount of it is being used. Someone gave a very good analogy for it a while back. Not sure who it was, might have been fergus or dustaz, can't remember, but anyway ...

It's like having an amazing network of high-ways with little traffic on them, but VERY few access roads. So what you end up with is reams and reams of countryside that cannot utilise this infrastructure, bottlenecks where it is accessable, and because of the bottlenecks, companies decide to put in toll-booths to "dissuade" people from using it unless necessary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭p2p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Know its election time coming up and bertie is probably chancing his arm but i for one take a little comfort in seeing this thread if only for the fact there is no mention of eircom .This hopefully means that the goverment has realised at last that waiting for eircom to do anything is now pointless.Im cynical i know but if this €60 mill doesnt get tied up in red tape and incompetance we will be one step closer to getting what we all need and want.quite who or how access to these loops will be handled certainly needs more explanation.

Stone

oooo the irony look at the dates on the press release page then look at your address bar 4 effing years its time to bloody well..............................http://act.iol.ie/ :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

Final Score:

Eircom: €60 million infrastructure assistance.

Customer: F*ck All

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Originally posted by skrobe
    What about Dublin???

In a few words: Fsck Dublin. :)

Seriously though, Dublin has a glut of connectivity. In some areas outside Dublin, there is no broadband and no prospect of broadband without state intervention. (The Franco theory about labour relations should have been used on Eircom. [1])

Regards...jmcc
    [1] There was an electricians strike in Spain and the dictator inducted all electricians into the army. Then when the electricians refused to work, he had some of the ringleaders shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Originally posted by jmcc

In a few words: Fsck Dublin. :)

Seriously though, Dublin has a glut of connectivity.

Dublin - the physical city - might, but Dublin - the ordinary people - sure as hell don't.

Oh there's NTL's cable if you live between numbers 21 and 24 Templeogue Road or whatever; and there's the DSL trials, but you're not talking serious numbers of people here. (I for one find it depressing that in a city of 1.25 million+ people, so far every DSL triallist I've seen on the northside is on the same class C subnet.)

€3 million per town.... I wonder how much it costs NTL to get punters converted to 2 way digital....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Matfinn

Are Eircom getting €60 mil off the government ?

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

It's like a story I heard about the Shah of Iran. In the 70's he decided to modernise the country and was advised that to do so he would need Modern Machinery. So the machinery was ordered and arived in ships. Unfortunately there were no ports suitable for the ships and so he ordered the ports to be built while the ships were anchored off the coast. Several years later, the ports were finished and the machinery was unloaded. Then it was realised that there were no roads to transport the machinery to the cities so a road building programme was started. Then they had an Islamic Revolution.

Seems to me like much the same is happening here.

SkepticOne is right, a cathoolic revolution is coming :)

seriously thought, thats ezactly whats happening, it most countrys digital phone lines are the norm, (isdn) because the tech is so old. But here its teh cutting edge, i try not to think of these things as i wil lstart to cry

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    It's like a story I heard about the Shah of Iran. In the 70's he decided to modernise the country........ Then they had an Islamic Revolution.

Seems to me like much the same is happening here.

It's so depressingly true!

Advertisement