Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

28 Megs of RAM?

• 24-02-2001 1:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭

Was in that new PC Superstore down by the Opera House in Cork tonight. Their PC's are *seriously* expensive. You're talking 2 grand for a PIII 800 (128 Megs of 100 RAM).

Anyhoo, was messing about with an AMD 500 Mhz with "64Megs" of RAM. (cost something like £1500). It seemed to be running quite a few apps so I thought I'd see the performance %. 84% not too bad, then noticed that there was only 28 megs of RAM in her.

First of all this kind of crap REALLY ****es me off. First time buyers are conned into buying this crap, no wonder these people hate computers. And at that price!

Secondly, how the hell does one get 28 megs of RAM into a PC? What is it? A 16, an 8 and a four? Christ! Can you get fours anymore? Wouldn't surprise me if there was a couple of 640's in there too just to make up the numbers.

Strange shop though, dead cheap for CD-R's and there's some dead cheap sub-woofer kits but the PC prices are a joke.

Might go in to take the **** tomorrow.

Yeah, something to do smile.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 -I-.Raven.-I-

good god 28 megs of RAM! anyway ya these superstores are rippin peeps off all over the place conning first time buyers etc.

I fount that small shops are far better,e.g. im gettin 128 megs of RAM for my pc for the lovely price of £90 quid includin vat

considerin i was quoted £120 for 64 by compustore!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

You think thats bad try Dixons prices.
    £100+ for 32mb of pc133 ram.
    Rip-fu<king-off.

<sig>Insert witty signature here</sig>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

U PAYED £1500 for an AMD 500 mhz, with 64MBS of RAM! ARE U INSANE!! even if u got what u thought u were after that's a rip-off, that's worth no more than £1000! even at that i wouldn't take it!

go to the dell website n see what an idiot u were...for £1500 u could hav a half decent comp. www.dell.ie

n where did ya say u can get 128mbs for £90!!! (now that is a good price!) smile.gif

[This message has been edited by azezil (edited 24-02-2001).]

Dunno the name ill ask me bro for it again,tis in galway anyway they quoted us £30 fo 32megs £60 for 64 megs and £90 for 128.

i nearly fainted when i heard the prices!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Err, just to let you know... RAM prices have fallen through the floor recently... I picked up 256megs of pc-133 ram for £69.00 inc VAT on a UK hardware place yesterday. smile.gif

If you want branded ram (eg crucial) youll pay about £90 inc vat for 256megs.

Heh, and there you all were thinking £90 for 128 was good wink.gif

Moriarty
    moriarty@gamersfm.com

• Advertisement

OMG! where where where!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

ehh Moriarty if thats CAS-3 RAM (and at that price id warrant it is) and you pair it with CAS-2 then your going to get a performance decrease by throwing it in, regardless of how big it is.
    just to let you know smile.gif

Bah humbug!

There i was thikin £90 was good for 128 oh well, and besides i have a crappy presario and mr crappy presario is a choosy Ram customer lol

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Jaguar computers are selling ram for £40 irish punt for 128mb of SDRAM pc 133

n where might one find jaguar computers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

sounds likethe 28 megs is 4 for video memeory + the 28 giving a total of 32 in the machine. Perhaps it has 2 sims with one card not properly seated in the socket-just a guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

-I-.Raven.-I-, you can get 256 simms very cheap over on www.scan.co.uk right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,791 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

got 256megs PC133 cas-2 for about £90 irish from dabs a couple of weeks ago, crucial as well, seems to take all the stressful memory settings no bother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

On the original question, it's probably got 32 mb's but is sharing 4 meg with an on board vga card. And sure if it's a display model, the tech probably nabbed the 64 out for his own l33t pc.

p.s AMD OWNS ALL OF YOUR BASE BABY!!

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!
    art is everything and of course nothing and possibly also a sausage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭[SKT]Raven

-I-.Raven.-I-, you can get 256 simms very cheap over on www.scan.co.uk right now.

Thx very much (btw it is the same raven just diff username lost me passy to other lol)

thx again el pres ill check it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

itdirect.ie have 128mb of PC133 SDRAM for 59 quid including vat now. Seems good to me, dunno how it compares to the UK retailers though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Leverz

Or you could goto www.dabs.com
    I find them alot better wink.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Dont buy from scan, their poo. A lot of kit they send out is either the wrong kit entirely, or else its broken.. happened to me once, and to a few people i know quite a few times. Their returns service is also appaling. Go for dabs, or www.microdirect.co.uk for decent service at the same (or better) pricing.

Moriarty
    moriarty@gamersfm.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Bertshere

Sorry Morriaty... Scan's fine!!

28MB is prob 24MB + 4MB on the graphic card..

Still B**l*x though and should be avoided.

Buy a book..... any book...and build it yourself.

128MB PC133 can be picked up for ukp45 in London so don't be ripped off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Hmmm....512 Mb of Crucial 133 for ~200 (incl. shipping/conversion/Vat) from Dabs.com. Yum.

BTW, since Ram is so cheap and everyone's going for 256 modules - Be weary of going over 512mb with Win9x (Yes I know you're probably using Win2k with this much RAM). It's flakey as hell, you have to modify your MaxFileCache setting in the System.ini/[Vcache] to get your system to behave.
    A wee tip to save you the required 2 days of hairpulling when you build your Uber Machine.

[This message has been edited by _CreeD_ (edited 02-03-2001).]

• Advertisement
Advertisement