Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

System.ini file damaged

• 07-03-2002 2:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭

Right win 98, system.ini file is damaged how can I repair it or do I just have to format this pc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Get someone else's and transplant it. It would help if they had the same spec as you, but of course no 2 comps are the same. I wouldn't format for the sake of a 5kb text file. It's actually quite self explanatory to edit yourself, but if you don't know what you're doing, don't bother. The best one to get and copy woud be one from a brand new install. If you're lazy and not too worried about info preservation, knock yourself out and format.

There may also be tools for repairing it built in, but of course MS wouldn't tell you about them :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

If I remember correctly, most of the stuff that made SYSTEM.INI important is actually stored in the Registry since Windows 95 and NT 4.0; the main (but not only) reason that it's retained is for backward compatibility with older software (designed for use with Win 3.x or built using older install tools) that might try to install instructions into it.

I just had a look at mine; a handy tool thrown in with windows called SYSEDIT (Click "Start"->"Run" etc...) will pop up an editor with each of these importantish windows files (autoexec.bat, config.sys, system.ini & win.ini) in a nice little window.

The first line of mine is a comment; it says:

; for 16-bit app support

so that should settle that then.

If you're still having difficulty, maybe one of the nice Mods could stick this in the "MS Apps / OS" forum; I'm sure Boston and his cohorts will be able to set the record straight absolutely on this one.

Gadget

Advertisement