Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's not the mouse, it's worse !

• 01-03-2001 3:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

Original message

This just started recently, no new hardware or software installed.
    Sometimes when I move my mouse, the pointer doesn't move for a split second, then it jumps to the spot onscreen. Why?

Update.

It's not just the mouse, when I type, every few seconds the cursor disappears then reappears with the text I've just typed.
    This is really Pishing me off.
    Any help please.

OOOHH,I hear laughter in the rain.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Did you check your Energy save options? sometimes setting it to shut down hard drives after a few minutes it will pause while it revs up the hard drive again.

Also make sure your cache and read ahead is switched off on your CD-ROM (if you have a fast machine).

Read WWWmans post in other thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Neil_Sedaka:
    Original message

This just started recently, no new hardware or software installed.
    Sometimes when I move my mouse, the pointer doesn't move for a split second, then it jumps to the spot onscreen. Why?

</font>

If you are running a heavy-weight program that would be normal. For some reason it happens to me when my modem starts dialing, even though it's a hardware one.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Neil_Sedaka:
    Original message
    Update.

It's not just the mouse, when I type, every few seconds the cursor disappears then reappears with the text I've just typed.
    This is really Pishing me off.
    Any help please.

</font>

This would also happen if you are running a heavy-weight process. The text typed goes into a buffer and is acted on (displayed) when the processor is free.

This probably isn't the problem but if you machine has a small amount of memory you should check on the amount of items in the system tray. If there's a lot they'll impact performance and could cause that problem.

It actually sounds like it's your system house-keeping. Findfast is set (default 3 hours?) to scan your hard drive every so often and index certain files (.exe, .doc, etc) so when you perform a search it completes faster. You can switch this off in windows explorer under tools. It's automatically done whenever you do a search anyway so there's little real benefit to be had from it.

If you have a virus checker running that might be causing slowdown doing virus sweeps automatically or sometimes systems are even set to defrag the hard drive automatically.

None of these might be the problem but it's worth checking them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Thanks for the replys.
    Turns out to be my burner of all things. It's bolixed (keeps telling me to insert a disk with more space, even though it's blank).
    Somehow this was hogging the system cos when I pulled it out the mouse/keyboard problem went.

OOOHH,I hear laughter in the rain.

Advertisement