Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outlook Error 553

• 08-03-2002 1:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Can anyone help me,

I can't send mails through my Outlook Mail.

Comes up with Error

'553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1)'

Had a look on the web but can't work out why it is not sending them.

The SMTP server is right just thinking I might have missed something else.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭halkar

Checked the e-mail address you are trying to send, also you said the SMTP settings are ok so the problem can be on your ISP or mail provider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Check your settings, and look for SMTP authentication. If your ISP requires outgoing authentication (which isn't too common yet) make sure Outlook knows it. If it doesn't require outgoing authentication, make sure Outlook doesn't think it does. It should be all under a 'Sending and Receiving mail' tab or sumfink.

If this still seems to be causing hassle, and your ISP requires authentication, make sure your username and password are correct and in the right boxes. Other than this, give them a ring (ugh).

All found by googling for 'SMTP Error 553'. Simple.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

You may be outside its list of accepting IP's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 cannonfodder

Thanks for those replies

I did the google search as well and came up with the same ideas, but none really helped..

Ok, since people are willing to help and have more ideas than me.

Here is more info, other people are using the same SMTP and have been doing so for ages and their mail is working fine, I have copied the exact info (except for incoming mail address) into my account settings but it is not working. Even if I add an existing account (working on a different comp using their settings) it still comes up with Error.

The only thing that I think might be causing problems is that I backed up Outlook (and all settings) using Genie Soft Outlook Express Backup... formatted my machine and then restored it using self exe program...

Is there a mail setting or something obvious that I most likely missed and the Genie Soft progrom would not copy...

I know there is probably a simple answer but if someone could explain it to me I would be very greatful.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Are you on dial up, or on a LAN?
    If you are on a LAN, check your network settings are correct.
    If you are on dial up, are you dialed into the same ISP as you are trying to send mail though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Are you dialled up on the ISP whose mail servers you are trying to send over? i.e if you're using the eircom mail servers are you dialled up on Eircom. Can other people send mail to that domain from the ISP you are on? Out of interest, what is your ISP and what is the domain you are sending to? It could be a weird DNS issue between your ISP and that domain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Check your outbox, specifically the first mail in the outbox and make sure that the email address is valid. Try moving this mail to a temporary folder (drafts or whatever) and send another test mail to an address you know for a fact works(or if there are more mails in the outbox just run a send and receive) and see does that solve the problem. If not, empty the outbox completely and try again.

The 'rcpt hosts' refers to the address that the mail is being sent to(rcpt to:)....which is a bit strange to have filters set up on, so it could be a corrupt mail in the outbox, if so the above might sort it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

If you go into Options -> Personal Information -> Edit your Identities, you can set up different identities, allowing you to choose what Full NAme, Email Address, Return Address and Signature your outgoing email uses.

For example, you could set up an identity that used your work email address, allowing you to fire off a quick email to someone using our webmail system but that would appear to come from (and replies would go to) your work address.

When in the compose window writing a new message, you will have a drop-down list of your identities which you can choose from. The Default Identity is the one that is used by default.

Advertisement