Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BBC6 Music now on EPG 911

• 08-03-2002 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭

Not only on UK card, but surprise, on ROI cards too. Wonder if it will be suddenly reomved like CBeebies recently??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

is the station available or is it blocked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Phelim 3:16

BBC 6 would be cool!

(In fact the only reason I am posting this is because I want to check if new avatar works! Appologies! and BBC 6 would be cool!)

Phelim

It's there loud and clear on Irish EPG - not a "08" message in sight :)

Relax now everyone, they still might take it off.
    Sky may have made a mistake in putting it there for us.
    Their buttons for setting up the EPG's might be like e-mail replies
    in that they might have clicked on the equivalent of "reply to all" instaed of just"reply to sender":D
    hope I'm wrong though as this would be setting a precedent :)
    mm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

There have been very few mistakes so far. And with the ones that happened, they were not long fixing.
    I think that until the BBC and ITV policy changes regarding the ROI, we can expect slim pickings from them.
    UTV and Channel 4 have the only credable vested interest in the ROI, and Granada are going to do their best to stop these two channels from operating in the ROI on Sky (because of their investment in TV3).
    Actually Channel 4 is the favourite for the next switch on in the ROI.
    BBC are all about viewership and listenership, and 1000 listners a day on BBC6 from the ROI is not going to make a blind bit of difference to their figures.
    So don't get your hopes up. We need a huge policy about-turn
    from Granada and the BBC for anything to change.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 24 wizard1

I Have it on now, the blurb on screen says it does not launch till march 11th. I wonder if we will still have it by then?

Cheers!!

Wizard1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

I was listening via other channels yesterday to their blurb. It sounds like a fantastic channel. I hope that the following doesn't happen:

a. Oh look, we've turned that on in ROI
    b. Better block it
    c. As a result the channel ends up completely blocked, not even accessible via other channels.

I really can't see how they would leave it on the EPG - it would be a bizarre exception. But then isn't BBC Radio Wales on the EPG in ROI ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

No, this certainly will not happen.
    When the BBC plan to move their tv stations to Astra 2D for a tighter footprint on the British Isles, they will leave the radio stations on a wide beam to ensure free access across europe.
    The only reason why 5Live is encrypted is because of pricey sports rights. It's too expensive to buy all Europe rights.
    I've read this in a few places and even the BBCs Digital Radio FAQ gives info for listeners abroad to listen on Astra 28.2'.

I'd say they mightn't bother removing 6Music from 911 in ROI. The main reason why they removed the CBBCs is because they were unavailable and would've created too much traffic from here to their CS people asking for it to be switched on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭pbirney

Originally posted by David C
    I've read this in a few places and even the BBCs Digital Radio FAQ gives info for listeners abroad to listen on Astra 28.2'.
    ... then why are none of the other BBC radio channels on the Irish EPG?

Appologies if this has been covered before. I don`t understand how BBC can claim that they encrypt 5 Live because of sports rights. Last night I was watching MOTD and through the commentary option you can hear 5Live! Surely this is a double standard? If it is illegal for us to hear 5 live through the EPG or Other channels then surely this is just as illegal?

Phelim.:confused:

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I hope BBC don't browse these boards and decide that we shouldn't get the 5 Live feed on BBC1. That 5 Live feed is better than none at all.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

how long after the game does that 5 Live feed stay there. i was listening to it for ages until i had to go somewhere and i loved it. isn't it strange how 5 Live is also broadcast on Radio Cymru and Radio Scotland (Other Channels for this one) over night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

As the BBC TV channels is as encrypted as Radio 5 Live, then this does fly in the face when you listen to 5 Live on MOTD. It's not fair, we all know....

As for BBC Radio Cymru, on 5 Live at that hour is very little live sport. Up All Night is the best radio programme on Earth, I love it to bits. So when Radio Cymru and BBC Radio Scotland came along, I was delighted.

Rhod Sharp, yer great :):)

The only problem they had was with the Australian Open Tennis, recently, but even then, the webcast 5 Live stayed with that. (There was great banter between the two regular hosts then, Rhod and Richard Dallyn; as they present the programme at different ends of the week, you never get to hear them talking together, but at the Australian Open you could, as Richard was in Melbourne and Rhod was in London, covering the usual parts of the show during breaks in the tennis.

Now, this week, Cricket between New Zealand and England resumes from Christchurch, with coverage on Sky Sports 2 and BBC Radio 4 LW starting at 9:30pm.

You've guessed it, Radio 4 LW is in the clear in the "Other Channels"

In conclusion (I do waffle at times! :) ) it beggars belief that they are not consistant. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭PacMan

Well 6Music is still broadcating on the Irish EPG.
    As stated in previous posts in this threads, Radio5 Live was and is available on the BBC Sports interactive, when viewers are given choices of commentary.
    Why then are BBC radios 1/2/3/4 and 5Live not available on the EPG?

It really does beggar belief! And if you take their stance to its logical conclusion, every british channel should be encrypted here! BBC have the exclusive rights to show, for example 24 (what a great programme right?) in the uk. RTE have the rights to show it over here. Therefore BBC are technically doing the same thing as they would be if they didn`t encrypt 5 live. Technically it is illegal but in a world dominated by a European free market enforcement of this is just ridiculous. Whatever happened to the free movement of goods and services (ie five live)

I should probably post this in the campaign for BBC but it seems to me that we would be better off emailing the EU competition authority instead of SKY etc. After all we are being discriminated against (God i sound millitant!!)

Phelim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

could Today FM have something to do with the blocking of 5 Live. They cover a live Premiership match on Saturdays. it still doesn't explain why some cable customers receive it though. back on the subject of BBC 6 Music. i had a listen this morning and thought it was excellent :)

BBC have the exclusive rights to show, for example 24 (what a great programme right?) in the uk. RTE have the rights to show it over here. Therefore BBC are technically doing the same thing as they would be if they didn`t encrypt 5 live. Technically it is illegal but in a world dominated by a European free market enforcement of this is just ridiculous. Whatever happened to the free movement of goods and services (ie five live)

Well i think this could have something to do with the fact that "we" pay the BBC via S.D for BBC 2 which shows 24. Whereas we do not pay them for five live.
    It seems that the Beeb are treating the interactive 5live as an integral part of their coverage of the game shown on BBC one.
    The logic would seem to be that what they show on BBC one can be seen on ROI and that includes late night bbc news 24 and segments of 5 live on their interactive.

The full service will remain unavailable though as there remains an opportunity for Sky to charge for it to be available on the Irish EPG.It's as simple as that in my view.

Of course we could get them to change that by perhaps e-mailing them. It's possible that they may have overlooked the situation regarding 5 live commentries on interactive.

It should be technically possible for them to pull the plug on 5 live on interactive in ROI( in the same way that , say you cannot choose news 24,bbc 4,cbbc,choice etc in the BBC i drop down change channel list)

I would strongly urge those that like 5 live , not to point out this "availability" on interactive as it may cause a switch off-just like what happened to ITV, when we all so kindly pointed out to them that we were watching:rolleyes:
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭West Briton

Apollo 400's Stop the Rock is on 6 Music right now. I love this station!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭West Briton

Now its the Undertones. Feck, they've raided my record collection!

Madman my point is this. Why should we have to pay extra for 5 live? We pay the same subscription rate as british customers yet we get a inferior product. I was trying to illustrate that if BBC can ,for example, show 24 here while RTE have the exclusive rights, then why can`t they broadcast 5 live even though Today FM have the rights to screen the premiership exclusively in Ireland. Surely in the EU their is a free movement of trade , goods and services? Therefore, with 5 live being a service, why should it be encrypted here when we pay exactly the same price that British people pay for the service?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

For decent music, try KinkFM (real audio http://www.kinkfm.com/kinkfm/kink.ram )

Satelliet: Astra 1G, 19,2 graden Oost (Digitaal)
    Frequentie: 12.574 GHz (ongecodeerd).
    Horizontale Polarisatie (transponder 109)
    Symb.Rate 22.000
    FEC 5/6

Good music during the night, morning, and afternoon (till 6pm). No DJ's or advertisements. During the evenings however, the DJ's come on and babble away like theres no tomorrow.

Here's a playlist: http://194.109.70.63/nonstop.php3

• Advertisement

originally posted by phelim 3:16
    Madman my point is this. Why should we have to pay extra for 5 live? We pay the same subscription rate as british customers yet we get a inferior product. I was trying to illustrate that if BBC can ,for example, show 24 here while RTE have the exclusive rights, then why can`t they broadcast 5 live even though Today FM have the rights to screen the premiership exclusively in Ireland. Surely in the EU their is a free movement of trade , goods and services? Therefore, with 5 live being a service, why should it be encrypted here when we pay exactly the same price that British people pay for the service?

Unfortunately we are not entitled to the BBC TV and Radio services unless we pay for them.It's not entirely an isue of rights.

We are actually paying slightly more than in the UK for the SD service,but we don't get full interactive and Sky plus is not available(even though thats an extra).

RTE have decided to make their radio services available to the UK-but they aren't soley license funded.

The BBC do make their radio channels available in ROI with the exception of 5 live via other channels.

They cannot be seen to be providing , free of charge 5 live Radio football coverage to a foreign country, when they have to pay for the rights to it with the UK license payers money.

Neither aparently can they be seen to be paying Uk license payers funds for a place on the Irish EPG for the rest of the Beeb radio stations.
    If only Dev , Michael Collins and the rest Knew the mess they were going to cause to the Sky ROI EPG by creating the free state:D
    mm

I understand about BBC not wanting to pay to appear on the EPG, but does it cost them anything to leave 5 live unencrypted and available through Other Channels like the other radio stations? Yeah your right though, you would think that DEv would have had the foresight to insist on something being entered into the Anglo-Irish Agreement for this eventuality! Talk about being shortsighted....:D

Phelim.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Thunder

Originally posted by madman

Unfortunately we are not entitled to the BBC TV and Radio services unless we pay for them.It's not entirely an isue of rights.

They cannot be seen to be providing , free of charge 5 live Radio football coverage to a foreign country, when they have to pay for the rights to it with the UK license payers money.

Ignoring the fact that it's available on NTL anyway, there's also the wee issue of the peace process. As someone mentioned over on the ITV thread....

Originally posted by PacMan
    The Good friday Agreement has a clause that both Northern ireland television and Republic of ireland television are available on both sides of the border.

Apparently this clause only applies to public service broadcasting (so no help to UTV)... but does anyone know if it includes BBC radio?

Even if it doesn't, surely this means we should be able to view BBC FOUR, CBBC, News 24, Parliament etc.??

Well now having read the Good Friday Agreement available at:
    http://www.nio.gov.uk/issues/agreement.htm

Theres no mention of RTE/TV3-just TNG now TG4 as follows:
    "• explore urgently with the relevant British authorities, and in co-operation with the Irish broadcasting authorities, the scope for achieving more widespread availability of Teilifis na Gaeilige in Northern Ireland; "

The peace process has nothing whatsoever to do with the provision of UTV, a commercial and not a public service broadcaster.

Regarding Five live-Those that have it and indeed all the British services on NTL can consider themselves lucky that the deal to have it there was done years ago.
    If it had to be negotiated today,the same problems would apply.
    But the BBC are getting paid for it as part of that original deal.
    Now the real question is, how much are Sky digital Customers in ROI going to pay for these extra services,as Sky are unlikely to reduce the value of their ROI subscription income by paying for the services them selves.Thats a cold fact based on recent "switch - off's".

Comparing NTL and Sky is like comparing two next door houses.
    House one has had the same tennants for years.
    House two has been refurbished and looking for new tennants.
    House one rent goes up the annual rate of inflation,while the owners of House two charge 50% extra for their lovely house.
    House two with the dearer rent is a 3 bed(they Knocked two into one :D ),while House one is a four bed.
    Sky is the nicely re furbished Three bed,while NTL is the older fourbed.
    mm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Comparing NTL and Sky is like comparing two next door houses.
    House one has had the same tennants for years.
    House two has been refurbished and looking for new tennants.
    House one rent goes up the annual rate of inflation,while the owners of House two charge 50% extra for their lovely house.
    House two with the dearer rent is a 3 bed(they Knocked two into one :D ),while House one is a four bed.
    Sky is the nicely re furbished Three bed,while NTL is the older fourbed.
    mm

I was out last night so I am not able to follow the above. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

I kinda lost it myself. And I wasn't out last night.

But whatever it means, it sounds nice.

You are certainly living up to your nickname, mm!! :):)

(Seriously, I was able to follow it :):) )

I think I might know what you mean, madman!

NTL are established a very long time - both in terms of their customers, and their agreements with other broadcasters. This means that it is very difficult to NTL to change things radically, even if the marketplace has changed substantially since they were originally established.

Sky on the other hand are newcomers. They know the value of Digital TV and charge accordingly.

Hence, Sky make substantially more money for providing a similar service.

The one point I would also add is that NTL are price-fixed by the ODTR, whereas Sky can jack up prices to out of contracts any time they like.

:D:D:D
    The people I work with here say i can be deep sometimes....
    Not often but sometimes...
    mm

• Advertisement

madman

I've lived in a 3 bedroomed house for years and still can't get UTV through Sky.

Am I doing something wrong??? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

I get the impression that it only works if you've knocked two rooms into one !

The people I work with here say i can be deep sometimes....
    Not often but sometimes...
    mm

Are you sure they are people???:D :D

Originally posted by Charles Slane
    I get the impression that it only works if you've knocked two rooms into one !

Bloody hell. Looks like being a busy weekend with the sledge hammer so. There goes the parade...

....through your house? Big gaff, eh?

ooohh this is gone too silly......

(striving to pick this thread from the gripe..... :) )

Oh yes, 6 Music.
    What do you think of Phill Jupitus as a brekkie DJ?

Haven't heard Phill Jupitus,guess I won't now will be too busy,helping the lads break down the walls:D
    It only works if theres a box with a BBC card in the fourth room:D
    mm

• Advertisement

I have heard Phil Jupitus on 6 music once or twice. He is not particularly funny but the music is quite good.

I prefer Today FM as I don't think you will beat Gift Grub...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Congarts Shane on reaching the double century! :)

I agree with Shane, Phil Jupitus is not all that great as a DJ - but the music is fantastic. I listen in each morning now by habit.

Certainly beats Tv3's Ireland AM (my old getting dressed, mooching round before work background). I like the concept, and it is a brave attempt at breakfast TV, but even Jupitus is in a different league to the Ireland AM crew.

I think 6 music is serious competition for the likes of Virgin.It's playing a similar better mix without the clutter of adds.
    The first tune i heard this morning when I turned on Stuart Maconie was from Travis.
    The commercials wouldn't like it if it went on Fm analogue.
    But thats what they face in the future in the UK with more widespread D.A.B
    Methinks I'll stick to my old SSIA rather than buy Radio shares:p
    mm
    p.s Genghis-forgot to say earlier, you got my thinking spot on regarding the houses:)

6 music are now playing Elvis........maybe I should edit the above:eek:
    Gift grub is excelent-the guy that does Michael Noonan is priceless!
    And as for Bertie...In fact A...........:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Trueblue

Hi all. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Welcome to boards.ie, trueblue! Enjoy your stay. You should reach your destination (with dialup) in approx 8 seconds.:D

Advertisement