Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WIFI Cards... I want to play :)

• 08-03-2002 3:41pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I'm getting interested in wireless security as are some of the guys in Spin. Nothing bold you understand but we want to see what we can see.

Anyone got a spare wireless card they could loan us or sell us so we can play with this?

I've also got some ideas for bandwidth sharing (legal ones!) but I dont want to go into that now.

So, can anyone hook us up?

DeV.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Sorry to go slightly OT.....

But there was this report on sky News last night about WAN security and the potential for it to be penetrated with ease- They put this guy in a car with a laptop and an aerial hidden in a pringles tube, and drove him around "the city" in London- The results were staggering !! Very interesting actually- might be on the website.

BTW the WAN in the Smurfit School in Blackrock was hacked into and AFAIK its down atm-

Let us know how you get on because its definitly a solution for net access once certain issues are ironed out:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

WEP has been cracked but problem is loads of people do not even turn it on. To crack WEP you need to listen to a lot of network traffic to work out the key being used, but you can do it, as WEP dose not randomly change the key it uses.
    This should be fixed in 802.11e with better bandwidth and more Security (128bit keys still not enuf) but with a small range at higher bandwidth.
    If you’re interested in wireless security then you might like to read this.
    A paper presented at 7th Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking, describing attacks.

What he used on Sky News was a handmade Yagis Antenna made out of Pringle cans. But you can use any type but some are better at picking up the signal.
    What you need is a laptop, wireless network card, a pig tail for the network card and your antenna. Then drive around and scan and see what networks pop up :)

If your looking for some where for some more info and where to buy a card try www.irishwan.org and www.irishwan.org/boards there is people setting up wireless networks all over Ireland (me included with some luck)

If you want more info on how to brake the WEP i can post it up,
    not sure it's too good a idea to give a guide to cracking WEP on the boads :)

Coyote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

To stay off topic a lot of this hype about insecurity is gladly promoted by mobile and 3G companies who consider WiFi as serious competition.

Security is weak but it can be secured if the proper security measures are taken but it appears lazy sysadmins or cowboy installers don't bother to implement this.

Its actually quite fun to drive around and find wireless networks offering you an ip address and welcoming you to the corporate lan without any verification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Kastro

i have a wireless card n do a bit of wardriving etc.. just wondering as i have a laptop and the card has an internal antenna is there any way as to madding the card to adopt a homemade antenna, bin messing with wifi for a quite some time now n found out coz of the card i have "Belkin wireless pre-n notebook network card. model number F5D8010" becuase of its intel chipset the drive cannot be re-written or changed for programs such as airopeek etc..
    i aint bothed goin n buying a new one so.. im just seeing what i can do with it.. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

heh.
    Dragging up posts from 3.5 years ago...
    -10^n+1 karma

Advertisement