Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC to Hi-Fi Speakers

• 08-03-2002 4:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if it's possible to redirect music from my PC to my beafy hi-fi speakers? Basically, I would like to be able to play games etc. on my 4.1 speakers and then *simply* play mp3's on my hi-fi speakers. My hi-fi unit has a knob on it which I need to change for the different inputs i.e. phono, cd, radio, tape and vcr.

Would it be possible to connect some sort of jack lead to between my pc and my hi-fi allow me to play music through my hi-fi speakers?

My hi-fi unit is an oldish (& big) Aiwa system with a lovely set of speakers. Lots of connections on the back which aren't in use, like the vcr inputs. Could I use them for my pc music input?

Cheers,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Yep - just find the LINE OUT socket on your sound card and connect that to the stereo (you'll probably need a 3.5mm stereo headphone <-> 2xRCA socket lead for that job).

Bear in mind that:
    • With some multi-speaker cards sockets can get re-tasked so that your line out might be set up to be something else. Fiddle with the settings - that's what I had to do with my SonicFury.
    • The 3.5mm headphone sockets used on sound cards are pretty damn poor in terms of crosstalk and connection impedances, being small and having densely packed connectors, but they're not completely awful. You may find you have to get a pretty good cable (i.e. oxygen-free cable, gold-plated connectors) to avoid a noticeable volume difference between the PC output and everything else on your stereo.

Hope this helps,
    Gadget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Yeah just buy a cable with a stereo mini jack to LR Phono and plug into the back of your stero then set the stero to receive from AV and off you go.

BomB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Anyone attempting this should of course only use the AUX line-in of their CR player and not some crude direct-to-speaker wiring job without some form of AMP in between.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

of course

bomb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

I appreciate all the help, haven't had the time to buy the jack lead yet though. Actually, where would be the best place to buy something like that? Maplins?

Thanks for that little bit of info about the AUX thing, I'll give it a try at the weekend, hopefully :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Any COmputer/Audio store
    ie. Dixons, COmputerstore, PC World, Peats etc.
    The wire should also cost less than €10

Advertisement