Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Component Proces ?

• 03-03-2001 8:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭

I was just looking at some individual component prices in a local computer shop and I was thinking some of the prices were too good to be true, what kind of things should I look for when buying things like hard drives for instance, I know the rpms is a big factor of the price in some cases but I don't know what to look for in other areas like the motherboard and monitors etc.

The place was selling 256mb sdram for £140, which to me sounds a bit too cheap but could it be bad quality ram or what ?
    How can I check these things out ?

Nil Desperandum

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Well, you can get 128mb of PC133 ram for about 40-50 quid if you shop around, so it's not THAT good smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

well www.scan.co.uk
    have 256mb of ram for 60 quid english
    and cas2 256mb RAM for 96 quid
    now that is good prices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

not if your just gettin the one ram chip.
    scan add 30 quid english for delivery.
    so your talking 110 and 150 irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

well it depends on which ram your buying
    if you get the cas2 they it will cost you the same as the irish one but i doute that it's cas2 and if your getting the cheep one then there about 40 quid irish cheeper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭THE SPERMINATOR

As i said weeks ago north korea was flogging ram cheap for hard currency thats why its all cheap at the mo but it wont last it never does hehe.

Stone biggrin.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Quorthon

Overclockers are doing 128mb pc133 for just £30 Sterling, add on 6 quid delivery and you've got a bargain in my book!!!!!

Q

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

So how much of a performance difference is there between your bog-standard PC133 RAM and lets say Crucial cas2 PC133 RAM?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Normally only 5-10%, but its more reliable, and clocks higher.

Advertisement