Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Printer repair

• 08-03-2002 8:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

Any reccomendations of where to get a printer repaired in Dublin?

The printer is a HP Laserjet 5L, and I would very much like to get a cheap/free cost estimation first...

Any suggestions?
    Zab.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Does it actually *need* a repair job? What's it not doing (apart from printing properly...)?

Gadget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Its not doing anything at all.

I plug it in and the error light comes on...and stays on. I went to the HP site and tried a few of the things it suggested ( moving the paper sensor's ) but to no avail....

If somebody has a miracle cure, I'd be happy to hear that instead!

...opening the lid, pulling out the sheaf of paper out of the top, pulling out the toner cartridge, then checking for stuck/folded/crumpled pieces of paper.

If that doesn't work, look inside for electrical contacts (gold-coloured pads, usually) and clean them with a dry cloth if they look dirty.

Find the switch that tells the printer that the door's closed and check that the switch is working, and that the hunk of plastic that's supposed to switch it hasn't broken off.

Check the paper feed sensors too (usually a spring-loaded plastic or metal flap connected to a switch) are free-moving and not stuck.

Other than that, you may need to get it serviced. The relevant address is in a little leaflet that came with the printer.

Happy hunting,
    Gadget.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Macker

There's a shop just down the road from Peats on the same side.....it's down stairs beside wackers petshop
    I left my epson in there after having it back in pcworld 4 times in a week ,it was still under guarentee but I got so pissed off going back and forward to them I left in into that shop and they had it working like new in a couple of days

Macker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Hi,

Inspector: I've already tried most of that ( all of that except cleaning the contacts ). Thanks for the tips anyway. I also should have explained originally that I didn't own this machine when it first broke, I just got given it by the owner and I don't have the documentation saying where to get it serviced...

Macker: I've been in that place before actually, a few years ago. Can't seem to remember the name though. If anybody knows the name I would appreciate it because I'd like to ring them before dragging the printer in.

I take it printer servicing isn't the most popular thing in the world...is it more economical to just buy a new printer?

I'll try cleaning the contacts... but I have a gut feeling that it won't work.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Zab
    Inspector: I've already tried most of that ( all of that except cleaning the contacts ). Thanks for the tips anyway. I also should have explained originally that I didn't own this machine when it first broke, I just got given it by the owner and I don't have the documentation saying where to get it serviced...

[snip!]

I'll try cleaning the contacts... but I have a gut feeling that it won't work.

Yeah, it is a bit of a long shot, but most printers are fussy about things like the doors being closed and the likes, so it's a "just in case" suggestion, really.
    Originally posted by Zab
    I take it printer servicing isn't the most popular thing in the world...is it more economical to just buy a new printer?

Well, in a country this small, there isn't really a market for it... and the way printers are dropping in price, I've seen some printers (a HP springs to mind) that cost less than the replacement price of the two cartridges that came with it in the box! :eek:

Gadget

Advertisement