Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win2k question

• 03-03-2001 6:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭

Ok, I have this wierd prob and cant think what it could be. Im running my comp on a lan (plassey village in UL) and running win 2k pro version.
    The problem is that certain other machines just cannot see my computer on the network, they cant connect to one of my shared drives, they cant connect to my web server. However they can connect to a FTP server i set up. There are only about 5 machines that i know of that have this problem (all running w9x) yet I can connect to their shared folders. The vast majority of machines have no problem though. Its like my puter is ignoring them.

Wierd huh? Anyone got any idea?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I had the same problem. Tried everything but ended up having to install the sucky ipx/spx
    protocol. I think it's something to do with master browsing or something.

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!
    art is everything and of course nothing and possibly also a sausage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

you might have to install netbui on your system, or on the 5 that cant see yo, whichever. in fact, try it on all of them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

well I have IPX and NetBeui installed so i will suggest it to the other lads that they maybe install it. Thanks for the feedback, hope something comes of this.

--boro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Loomer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WhiteWashMan:

you might have to install netbui on your system,
    </font>

Aah I thought one of the main things about W2K was to get rid of netbeui. As far as the problem is concerned it sounds like a possible WINS/Browsing problem. Do you have a WINS server and if so do you have the right entry in your TCP/IP properties??? Also I found when installing W2K Pro on a NT4 network it forced an election and beat the NT4 server even tho Microsoft claim that this is impossible( like so many other things) I had to edit the registry of the server to IsMasterBrowser = yes - so you might want to check that. Although that would effect the whole network as opposed to one machine. I am assuming alot of things about your network which may not be true but I hope that helps.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">it sounds like a possible WINS/Browsing problem. Do you have a WINS server and if so do you have the right entry in your TCP/IP properties???</font>

Well, we use DHCP here, and we were told not to enter anything in the WINs section.

I dunno about the rest but thanks anyway smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 steveh

hi boro,

i've also come across this problem. we had an nt domain with roughly 500 nodes. on installing our first few win2k pro clients and a win 2k member server, several of the win 2k client had network browser problems. as loomer suggested, the win 2k server had forced a browser election and taken over as the master browser.

if you have the win 2k resource kit (comes on technet) and admin rights you can check this. install browser monitor from the resource cd. then ensure that your primary domain controller is set as the master browser and that back-up browsers are all backup domain controllers. also, ensure that all browsers are insync and picking up then same number of nodes.

Stephen Hampton
    Ubiquity Solutions
    www.ubiquityweb.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Aah I thought one of the main things about W2K was to get rid of netbeui\

yes, but unfortunately, that still leaves the win98 machines...

Hmm, running into things im deffo not sure of here smile.gif

Ok, I got my hands on browmon.exe and it shows that my pc is [Workstation|Server|Windows NT|Potential Browser|Backup Browser|Master Browser] which the help file tells me means that my pc is a master browser.

Using browstat.exe I got this output:
    PS my pc is \\BORO
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    D:\>browstat status

Status for domain PLASSEY on transport \Device\Nbf_NdisWanNbfOut{A78CA8FC-53D4-4
    6B6-B05E-6D698A7FFF90}
    Browsing is NOT active on domain.
    Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.

Status for domain PLASSEY on transport \Device\Nbf_NdisWanNbfOut{FC6A848F-E475-4
    7AF-97FF-A0231E5E10CE}

Status for domain PLASSEY on transport \Device\Nbf_NdisWanNbfOut{9436EAEB-019D-4
    937-B5F7-C9AFCD824FB1}

Status for domain PLASSEY on transport \Device\Nbf_NdisWanNbfIn{86B053DD-A7EB-4F
    47-B3E4-09B7BC2ACD29}

Status for domain PLASSEY on transport \Device\Nbf_NdisWanNbfIn{A3C38743-494A-4D
    D6-BFCA-BCFE91154277}

Status for domain PLASSEY on transport \Device\Nbf_NdisWanNbfIn{795B7B83-6B95-41
    A8-88F2-D43F5FD5E420}

Status for domain PLASSEY on transport \Device\Nbf_{216E79F9-3E97-4C94-805F-CC3E
    16C05129}
    Browsing is active on domain.
    Master browser name is: ATILLA-THE-NUN
    Could not connect to registry, error = 5 Unable to determine build of bro
    wser master: 5
    Unable to determine server information for browser master: 5
    2 backup servers retrieved from master ATILLA-THE-NUN
    \\HABACUC
    \\ATILLA-THE-NUN
    There are 34 servers in domain PLASSEY on transport \Device\Nbf_{216E79F9-3E
    97-4C94-805F-CC3E16C05129}
    There are 1 domains in domain PLASSEY on transport \Device\Nbf_{216E79F9-3E9
    7-4C94-805F-CC3E16C05129}

Status for domain PLASSEY on transport \Device\NwlnkNb
    Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus. Using \\BORO
    Master browser is running build 2195
    2 backup servers retrieved from master BORO
    \\BORO
    \\NEUTRON
    There are 7 servers in domain PLASSEY on transport \Device\NwlnkNb
    There are 2 domains in domain PLASSEY on transport \Device\NwlnkNb

Status for domain PLASSEY on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{216E79F9-3E97-4C94-8
    05F-CC3E16C05129}
    Master browser name is: KARMA
    Could not open key in registry, error = 201326626 Unable to determine bui
    ld of browser master: 201326626
    \\\\KARMA . Version:04.02 Flags: 9a03 NT SERVER
    1 backup servers retrieved from master KARMA
    \\KARMA
    There are 79 servers in domain PLASSEY on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{216
    E79F9-3E97-4C94-805F-CC3E16C05129}
    There are 2 domains in domain PLASSEY on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{216E
    79F9-3E97-4C94-805F-CC3E16C05129}

Status for domain PLASSEY on transport \Device\NwlnkIpx
    Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus. Using \\HYPER
    Could not connect to registry, error = 53 Unable to determine build of br
    owser master: 53
    \\\\HYPER . Version:04.00 Flags: 402003 WFW
    3 backup servers retrieved from master HYPER
    \\HYPER
    \\REJOYCE
    \\BORO
    Unable to retrieve server list from HYPER: 1230

D:\>
    </font>

Now, where do I go from here? Im kinda lost actually smile.gif Im not actually a network admin so theres probably nothing I can do right?

Anyway, thanks for your help Steveh and Loomer.

-Boro

Advertisement